Saginaw C-III Power Steering Pump Upgrade - '98+ SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Saginaw C-III Power Steering Pump Upgrade - '98+ SOHC

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer
As best I've been able to determine, the '98+ SOHC Explorers were one of the first Fords to get the Saginaw C-III pump, replacing the TRW C-II pump which had been used on most Fords since the late 70's. Incidentally, the similar Saginaw has been used on GM products since 1987, typically referred to as the "TC" or "Type II" pump.

Conveniently, it appears that the same 3-bolt pattern was used on the Explorer pump, unlike most other Fords which began using the 4-bolt radial mount pattern (typically, as new vehicles/engines were rolled out). So given this, am I correct to assume that the '98+ SOHC pump can be used on other vehicles typically fitted with the TRW pump? Say for example, a OHV Explorer?

I'm 99% sure that the "TC" on the SOHC is not the same pump as the OHV's - which looks more like the traditional "P" style. The GM pumps also have a different method of mounting the pulley onto the pump's main shaft, and different location of the high pressure port.

EDIT - oh and one more thing, the SOHC began in 97 so the "TC" pump first showed up the same year.

On the left is a GM pump, on the right is the SOHC's:
pumps_lumina_sohc.jpg

I'm 99% sure that the "TC" on the SOHC is not the same pump as the OHV's - which looks more like the traditional "P" style.

Too funny, I was just about to correct myself, having read your thread from a couple years ago...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190649&highlight=saginaw+pump

The big (incorrect) assumption I made was that the Saginaw pump used on the SOHC used the "Ford standard" 3-bolt pattern (what you're calling a "P" style). But instead, the "TC" pump mounting stayed unchanged, and Ford essentially adopted the GM mounting standard.

BTW, it's rather insane how many different naming schemes there are for these pumps. Take a look at pages 8-10 of this document, and you'll see where I was getting my "C-II" and "C-III" naming schemes from.
http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/ssd200.pdf

Back