• Register Today It's free!

SAS Front axle choice

94whiteX

Reaction score
City, State
Canton,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I want to do an SAS on my 94 4 door X and was just wondering if anyone has used an axle from a newer Jeep Grand Cherokee? I know the bolt pattern is bigger and has CV type axles but I have it and and got it FREE so I would like to use it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JKS has a spacer ring available so you can use the earlier unit bearing hub for the right bolt pattern, just need to redrill the bolts in the rotor. Lots of Cherokee and Grand Cherokee guys have upgraded to the WJ axle for over the knuckle factory steering and the bigger, better Akebono brakes...

Thanks for the info ZJ I checked out there web site and will be getting a set of them for my axle. I have a Cherokee Sport front axle from a 1999 that I can use the hubs from. You know anything about the CV type axle shafts? They pretty strong or should I look into something else. The truck will not be seeing a lot of off road time mostly street truck.

You do realize that the axle you're installing is no stronger than the TTB, in fact, it's weaker. its a dana 30 is it not? you're stock axle is a dana 35. which is considerably stronger than a 30.

You do realize that the axle you're installing is no stronger than the TTB, in fact, it's weaker. its a dana 30 is it not? you're stock axle is a dana 35. which is considerably stronger than a 30.

Technically, It is a super 30 it has some up graded parts over a D30 and It is a little stronger, but it would have less moving parts than the D35. I would probably wait and find a D44.

I have read the pros/cons about using the D30 Jeep axle. I'm trying to do this on a budget and got the axle free so that helps the budget. I know the D44 is better but we don't have any of them at work I found a set of 4' lift springs on a late 70's early 80's Chevy Blazer at work. I guess they are the 63'' leaf springs that are good to use. I'm trying to do this swap with parts I can get from work. I work at a pick-up and van salvage yard so some things will be easier for me to get cheep. We have Explorers and Jeeps so that's why I am going with the Jeep axle.

Ditch the CV axles. Use the 297 jointed axle shafts from the 99. What I don't know is, if you can swap the knuckles from the low pinion WJ housing, onto the high pinion XJ. THAT would be the better choice to be honest. High pinion ring gears are a bit stronger.

I'd like to address the strength issue. Yes, the D35 is a stronger unit, and since the Ex weighs more than even the WJ does, I'm not sure I would go with the D30. YES, I am going to do a D30 under my own Ranger with a 2.3 and 5 speed. Like you, I got he axle free. You've looked at the good and bad, just thought I would throw my nickels worth in.

And I do know a guy locally that hacked in a ZJ front axle and control arms (the mounting just looks too sketchy to me), but he wheels it and it does pretty good rolling 31s. I'll see if I can get a pic or two under it, since it is sitting at a local repair shop with a dead A4LD... I offered $300 for the truck thinking I might get lucky twice...

And a Super 30 kit has seriously upgraded axles... But even us ZJ guys ditch the CV axle shafts when we can (mine didn't have CVs when I bought it, which is one other reason WHY I bought this one....).

Technically, It is a super 30 it has some up graded parts over a D30 and It is a little stronger, but it would have less moving parts than the D35. I would probably wait and find a D44.

one less U joint? and a U joint that has hardly any angle on it anyhow. i have never broken that U joint. it's always the ones at the knuckles that brake. i understand it's a budget build, and that you have the axle already therefore it's free... but to me, free doesn't constitute downgrading (and adding a ton of work in the process)

and why the heck would you want to ditch coil springs for leafs!?

I understand the D44 is a stronger and better axle. I want to do this with parts I can get from work and replacement parts if need be. I have the 2 axles and I think between the 2 of them I can put one together and truss it and it will be perfect for what I want. This is going to be a DD and where I live there isn't much for hard core off rode fun. I have a set of 153's and AAL for the rear and a set of 3 1/2 inch lift blocks for the rear when I do the SOA swap. My next part I'm going to get is a rear axle from a second gen with discs. What I want to do is have the gears installed ,perch pads in place and a set of leaf springs with AAL and shackles set up and do the rear all in one shot. And how I see it is like this a lift for the TTB is not cheep and I feel I can do the D30 on leafs cheaper then a TTB lift.

Okay, If you want a cheap lift at the expensive of on-road ride quality, and offroad durability, then i guess the d-30 with leafs is the way to go.. personally i'd much rather have the stock axles. but to each his own i guess.

do they not make a sas that can use your stock springs and ra arms?

Leaf springs can't be all that bad I see a lot of trucks on here with them. For right now I'm doing what I can afford and this is it. Maybe after this is done for a while I may step up to different set up with a D44. You have to crawl before you can run. This is my first 4X4 truck so far I have done a 3" BL and 33x12.50x15's and I like it so far its fun to drive. Next is the SOA then SAS. My shed is filling up with parts and can't wait to put it all together.

Leaf springs can't be all that bad I see a lot of trucks on here with them.
The leaves themselves arent the problem - but a leaf sprung suspension present a problem in the steering department where the steering link will come very close to or bind against the passenger-side leaf pack. So that means you have to go Hi-steer - which is just means more money. And if you are thinking of going with the Dana30, I would not spend the money on a Hi-steer because its already a weak axle to begin with so dumping more money into it would be pointless. Read over Section525's thread, a leaf-sprung D44-based SAS:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152904&highlight=section525

My suggestion: build the suspension around the steering.

Back