• Register Today It's free!

sas?

tigercat

Reaction score
City, State
Perry, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 sport
hi i curently have a 92 sport 2wd and i want to have a mud bogger so i was thinking of buying a 4wd sport and putting a solid front axle in it i have limited welding capabilities with a stick welder not much fabrication experiance and need to spend less than 1500 dollars it does not have to be pretty only functional so the question is could i do a sas swap or just get a 6 inch explorer lift or 8 inch ranger lift. the main thing is i would like to clear something arount a 40 inch tire.
thanks in advance, Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

come on theres plenty of people on the site who know about this

Your bumping your thread only 13 minutes after posting?
Whats the rush, do you already have the axle and the steel?

sorry just kinda tired i was going to order the lift kit if i got that answer for the christmas specials

There are plenty of SAS threads you can read up on....

Now, unless I'm reading this wrong... you want to buy a sport, do SAS with it, and run 40 inch tires? For less then 1500 dollars? Unless you're the man and have deals to China and back, I'm going to say that's very unlikely... or do you mean doing just the SAS for under 1500?

yea i mean 1500 for the conversion

I'll be the first to tell you, you'll NEVER clear 40" tires. If somehow you did you'd have about as much power as an RC car.

For the axle your best bet will be a leaf sprung Wagoneer axle or an early F250 axle. Remember you'll need drivers side drop. Not sure what years are best, but many have ran them under explorers. You will need at least a Dana 44 in the front and a Ford 9 inch in the back if you wanna run 37's. This could probably be done for under $1500 if you find a good deal on some axles. If you need to regear the axles your talking another $1000 at least.

what would be the biggest tire i could fit under a 8 inch ranger lift and 3 inch body lift and f150 coil seats.

The search feature is your friend:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67200

8 inch ranger suspension lift I guess it is, and 3 inch body lift, add in a few more cause of hte coil seats and you're pretty much sitting at the max which would be:
3 inch body lift and 4-6 inch Suspension lift – 35x12.50x15 – 36x12.50x15 on 15x8 inch rim

but you may be able to fit more depending... but why? lol you'd have no power

Just cut the fenders and be done with it.

Biggest i'd run with stock axles is 35's. Any bigger and you'll be buying wheel bearings and brake pads in bulk. My advice, do it right the first time. SAS and be done with it.

1500 is cutting the budget pretty thin.. buy the time you get junk yard axles you'll need to regear (around $1000) then all the brakes, bearings, etc etc etc... it can be done but don't skrimp or you'll be paying big bucks later.

what kind of welding is required with sas and can it be done with a basic stick welder

and also this is just going to be a mud truck that i tow to and from the mud bogs so does JTXs advice about wheel bearings still apply if its not a daily driver? the reason i need 40 inch tires or bigger is because i need to be able to run in deep mud and get out with out having to get pulled out

the reason i want to do an explorer instead of a 79 f150 or something is because i think it will be real neat to see a explorer do what a 79 will.

The 4.0L will spin 40s just fine (sure, not like a blown big block, it'll maintain fine though). You just have to run the right gear ratio (something between 5.38 - 5.57:1).

You'll want nothing less than a D60 front and a D70 or Sterling rear for that size tire though. Anything less and it'll be axleshafts (not brakes & bearings) you'll be buying a bulk order of (possibly R&P gears too).

And yes, you better plan on more than $1500 too. If you want to go big, you gotta pay.

will a dana 30 work in the front?
and why do you need to change the rear axle?

Anything smaller than a D60 will grenade with a 40" tire(considering the wheel spin you need for a mud truck). 1500 is a pipe dream to build a competitive truck with. Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, but I don't see it happening with that budget.

Some heavy 3/4 ton and most of the newer 1 ton and up FORDS came with them. Last I priced one at the junkyard, the guy wanted 900 for a front 60. Everybody that wants beef has been snatching them up around here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found that they want 900 to 1200 for a good dana 60.

P.S. Bloodbane love your siggy. :-D

Back