sas? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sas?

Only reason I was asking is there are a few pull a parts around my area and whether it's a d35 or a d60 they're the same price. That'd be a good place to look if you're on a budget and have one close by.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There hard to find, you can't even find dana 44's at my local one. A Dana 60 is like a needle in a hay stack.

oh well i know the tallahassee picknpull has several d44-d60 and they all cost around $150 so with that out of the way could i still do this with my budget of 1500 dollars? what kind of skills do i need to do all the fabrication work involved?:dunno:

oh well i know the tallahassee picknpull has several d44-d60 and they all cost around $150 so with that out of the way could i still do this with my budget of 1500 dollars? what kind of skills do i need to do all the fabrication work involved?:dunno:
Start reading the SAS threads .. maybe read at least 2 of them to get a variation.

i still cant find anything saying the amount of skill needed to do this leaf spring sas conversion:(

There probably isnt one single thread thats going to sum up the skillset you need. But as you read the SAS threads, it'll be obvious. For example, you'll need to weld on some new spring perch and hangers so obviously you'll need to know how to weld (and a welder). In addition, you'll need to know a little bit about vehicle dynamics because you need to figure out the caster which will be related to pinion angle unless you cut-and-turn the inner knuckle. So read a few SAS threads and it'll become obvious as to what skills and knowledge you need in order to execute the swap. There are many "lessons learned" within those threads that'll show you what to do and what not to do. So dont rush it, take at least a few days to read and soak in the info, cauz there is so much of it.

can it be done with a stick welder?

can it be done with a stick welder?
Yes, but read. I did my swap with a stick welder (it was even mentioned in my thread). All the answers you need is contained in the threads -- you just have to read through them. And trust me, you'll be a lot better off spending 3 or 4 days of reading than us writing up a single post on what you need to know. As they say, the devil is in the details and so its probably impossible for a single thread to contain all the info you need. Most of us who have done the swap have spent weeks or months researching and planning.

Can you get me a driver side drop dana 60 for $150? I'll give you $200 a piece if you can get me 4. :)

+1.....

I see JTX's $200 per axle price and raise $50 -- $250 per axle! And I'll take 8 to minimize JTX's chances of getting one. They'll be shipped overseas to make sure that ******* never gets his filthy blood-stained gangster hands on them.

Iz i hope your secret service can stop me. I'm coming for you now!

:salute:

i could get them but i have no way of shipping so you have to pick them up.:)

I'll pay for them but then you'll have to kick them into the ocean -- as long as JTX doesnt get to them, I'm happy. :)

yea ill do that ill also put them in a ziplock bag so no water gets in:D:D

if you want to run that big of tires definatley go with the sas. 35 is as big as I would go on a dana 35
and I dont recommend teh 8" lift for the ttb as your steering angles will be horrible at best.
im looking for a d44 and a 9" myself

yea i decided sas would be the best

so dana 44 or 60?

Just pick one and make progress. As long as youve addressed all of the issues, then you're good to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what kind of leaf sprinngs do i need?

Back