• Register Today It's free!

Saving it from Rust?

Dave98XLT

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOC
Any advice on saving my 98 Exp from rust? One of the worst looking areas structurally are the body to frame mounts where it is welded to the floor-pan. They are getting badly corroded. Is there a way to save them? My rockers are gone in the rear, but they don't look structural. Where else should I be looking for structural and safety related rust?

I see some rust thru in the back frame by the leaf spring on on side. Not good. Going to bring it to my welding guy.

I would blast it with fluid film twice a year. It may buy you some time. Rust removal is not easy. You would probably have to sandblast those areas or cut them out and reweld. The radiator support holds your airbag sensors, check that too. I had it welded.

Saving the body mounts (replacing) them is pretty extensive. Unless you have good fabrication skills, a good welder, and time, it’s probably not worth it. I’d probably scrap an Explorer before trying to rebuild the body mounts.

My frame on my previous Mounty rotted out near the spring hangers. I trimmed a piece of heavy angle to slide inside, and then formed a thinner plate on the outside of the frame. After pinning it through the existing frame I was able to hammer it to fit around the c channel, and stitch the formed metal to the heave angle iron. Was super strong after. It became my jack point after.

Back