Say Hello to EcoHell.. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Say Hello to EcoHell..

All I can do is laugh at my predicament on the low voltage issue mentioned earlier. Everything was working out great.. I left for NY this past Sunday from FL. I drove straight through with no issues with EcoHell. On Tuesday, I had to go to my other house which is about 45 minutes away. In the middle of the drive, the damn Wrench Light came back on with the same issue(s) as described before. Let's just say I was fuming, given the money I had spent while in FL. While I was driving, I was thinking what it could be.. could it be the high output alternator took a ****, killing my new battery. There was only two things plugged into the vehicle 1) USB cord charging my cell phone and 2) my node plugged into the 110 outlet in the 2nd row.

While driving I unplugged both.

I made it to my other house. I checked the battery with a voltmeter. Battery was perfect..alternator was performing perfectly as well. Then it hit me..

When I purchased EcoHell, I began modding at 700 miles. One of those mods was...wait for it....the Pedal Commander. There were other issues associated with this product, so I turned it off, but it remained connected.

Took me all but 5 minutes to remove it and reconnect the stock connectors, So, let's reflect a little.. purchased a brand new AGM battery and a high output alternator (over $1000), when it turned out to be the Pedal Commander causing the problem in the first place. If it happens again..EcoHell may be traded in.. LOL.

Anyhoot, my next mod is removing the roof rails. Stay tuned for pics...

Also, did you guys receive the latest issues with our Sport from Ford? Received in the mail there is an issue with the cooling fan...jeeezzz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, did you guys receive the latest issues with our Sport from Ford? Received in the mail there is an issue with the cooling fan...jeeezzz
Could you please elaborate on this cooling fan issue? Recall, TSB, SSM, number? Thanks.

Peter

Could you please elaborate on this cooling fan issue? Recall, TSB, SSM, number? Thanks.

Peter
This is the envelope from Ford and a picture of the actual letter..

AWlOeHL.jpg

mkOgec2.jpg

Things that make you go hmmmmm..

Thats the 201N1 recall.

Funny i just got a very similar 2 days ago but for Toe Links which I have already received 3 other letters before last year. It must be recall season...

This is the envelope from Ford and a picture of the actual letter..

View attachment 342847

View attachment 342848

Things that make you go hmmmmm..
Thank you. There is a thread on that.

Peter

Posted this on two other forums..

Anyone notice anything different about EcoHell in this photo?

N2PUpIx.jpg

Ok.. what about these photos:

eossCQ0.jpg

GURvlk2.jpg

wKb1rqY.jpg

Jd6MNC8.jpg

Working on a YouTube video showing the steps, and yes, there are other videos but those videos are showing the stock front clip where you cut it as opposed to purchasing the law enforcement front clips version.

I also am working on a video showing how to take apart the center dash where I installed the 4DTech Motion Unlock module, so I can use the key board while driving..

I am still working on the video for the roof rail removal project. However, I did complete the DIY removal of the center dash panels and install of the 4DTech Motion Unlock module (type while you drive feature). The link to the 8+ minute video is below..

Click here

As stated above, the video for the roof rack/rail removal is completed. You can click on the link below..

Click here

Question for your EcoHell, do you have the part numbers for the trim pieces near the windshield? I temporarily have mine mated down with with 3M VHB adhesive after I painted them gloss black. I'm waiting for the molding to come in tuesday before I complete the rest of it.

I also somehow snapped a stainless M6 bolt trying to get it in on the trim piece and trying to remove it was the cause of the break. Since the PIU trim pieces mount on the two railing mounts, I figured this would be my best path forward.

Question for your EcoHell, do you have the part numbers for the trim pieces near the windshield? I temporarily have mine mated down with with 3M VHB adhesive after I painted them gloss black. I'm waiting for the molding to come in tuesday before I complete the rest of it.

I also somehow snapped a stainless M6 bolt trying to get it in on the trim piece and trying to remove it was the cause of the break. Since the PIU trim pieces mount on the two railing mounts, I figured this would be my best path forward.
They are listed and shown in the DIY video I posted in YouTube.. so not to bore you with the video..LOL, here you go..

NTx2NFQ.jpg

Posted this in another forum.. may help someone else.. sorry for the long winded story..

You know given all the BS Ecohell has given me this year, I was driving to my other residence on Long Island on 11/3/21 and out of nowhere the damn Wrench light comes back on. Then within seconds of that, the Check Engine light comes on, and both Stability Track lights (lower right of the cluster) come on. I immediately pull over and was able to park off the 4 lane road I was on.

Once I pulled over, the information center on the left of the cluster begins chiming and telling me Service AdvanceTrak, Hill Start Assist Not Available, See Owner's Manual, Pre-Collision System Fault, and All Terrain Management System Fault. I am fuming at this point.

I contact AAA for a tow. I tell them I am going to call Ford and see which dealer to bring my vehicle too - this is going to get good. I contact the nearest Ford Dealership, tell them my dilemma and they tell me they cannot see my vehicle until the middle of December. They state i should contact the Ford Dealership where I purchased EcoHell. I then contact that dealership. They state I cannot bring EcoHell there until November 22nd.

So here I am in limp mode, definitely not going to drive EcoHell, as 1) I never had this many lights come on before, 2) never before seen some of the messages being displayed and 3) during all of this I was shutting the engine off, opening and closing my door, then restarting EcoHell - within seconds of her starting there is a loud clunking noise coming underneath.

What does Ford do? Sorry, your SOL, until weeks later. Luckily, my nephew owns a performance shop and happened to call me after I got off the phone with the 2nd Ford Dealership, just to say hi. I said your ears must be burning because I was just about to contact you. I tell him my predicament and though he is busy says tow EcoHell to his shop.

I re-contacted AAA and tell them the address of his shop. About 40 minutes later the tow truck arrives. I advise the driver that I don't want him driving the vehicle on the flatbed and use the winch. Then to top all of this BS off, the driver tells me (after he loads EcoHell on the flatbed) that company policy cannot have anyone in the tow vehicle due to Covid.

Qw9PFe4.jpg

I then contact wifey who is not happy that she has to pick me up..messing up her schedule. Tow truck leaves. I walk across the 4 lane road to a 7-11 store and wait. She comes, I take her back home and use her car to go to the shop. Now at this point, I am not *****ing as I am driving her 400 odometer mile, Prestige model 2021 Audi S5 Sportback..LOL.

Anyhoot, I get to the shop about 30 minutes later, and see that EcoHell is in a stall about to be lifted. My nephew is inside reading his god knows how much Snap-On scanner tool and is a little stunned that NO power train codes are shown. He thinks his scanner isn't working properly. I grab my INNOVA scanner I keep in EcoHell and scan her. I get no power train codes as well. We both receive P0107 or P0109 (cannot remember at this moment - as scanner is in EcoHell as I type), but it is a map sensor code.

I advise him that this all started with a voltage issue, so could we check the voltage readings for S&Gs. He reads the battery both off and on. On, EcoHell is reading 14.8 and 14.9 and never going any lower, so I am not losing any voltage.

He then goes onto his computer and starts reading a TSB to me..

"Some 2018-2019 Explorer/Flex/Taurus/MKT vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), powertrain malfunction (wrench) lamp, Service AdvanceTrac message, Hill Start Assist Not Available message, and/or lack of power with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0107, P0108 and/or P0109 present. This may be due to a faulty manifold absolute pressure and temperature (MAPT) sensor. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to diagnose and replace the MAPT sensor."

This is Ford TSB #TSB 19-2183.

Bottomline, I have him order a new 3 bar MAP sensor. The next morning he receives it, installs it and wouldn't you know it, if fixed the damn problem.

Now imagine if I did not have a nephew owning his own performance shop. I am curious, besides the waiting period to get EcoHell into the service department at Ford, what Ford would have done... thoughts?

BTW, I drove EcoHell yesterday about a 100 miles and she drives like nothing ever happened. She has 47,x.. miles on her, mostly highway miles.

Thank you for that info. The TSB as above has been added to our TSB thread.

Peter

They are listed and shown in the DIY video I posted in YouTube.. so not to bore you with the video..LOL, here you go..

View attachment 422930
Kind of expensive trim piece per side for what it is. May I ask what you ended up paying for the two?

I may just reuse the stock pieces and trim the small clip off of it. I also may go look for a wreck PIU at a pick and pull to see what sort of pricing I could get.

Kind of expensive trim piece per side for what it is. May I ask what you ended up paying for the two?

I may just reuse the stock pieces and trim the small clip off of it. I also may go look for a wreck PIU at a pick and pull to see what sort of pricing I could get.
I did not think the price was bad..

The only reason why I chose my route is if I sell EcoHell the roof rails goes with the vehicle and the new owner can elect to re-install them with no problems. If I trade her in, I can then sell the roof rails as a complete kit (minus the 4 bolts).

Try looking for a wrecked PIU, if you don't want to spend the money, first.

DB5Z-7851729-AAMolding - Roof Side Trim $47.79
DB5Z-7851728-AAMolding - Roof Side Trim $48.14

What price are you getting?

I was seeing about $100 shipped for the two. The small clip i'm speaking of is just the one that holds the trim piece in place under the rack railing mount. I have some VHB 3M tape that is more than capable of keeping the trim in place if I decide to reinstall the racks.

I'm waiting for my RTV-3 to fully cure before I clean the area to put that molding down.

BTW nice pictures your uploaded to Amazon for the review of the molding you listed. I knew immediately that it was your X.

I was seeing about $100 shipped for the two. The small clip i'm speaking of is just the one that holds the trim piece in place under the rack railing mount. I have some VHB 3M tape that is more than capable of keeping the trim in place if I decide to reinstall the racks.

I'm waiting for my RTV-3 to fully cure before I clean the area to put that molding down.

BTW nice pictures your uploaded to Amazon for the review of the molding you listed. I knew immediately that it was your X.
It was $109 shipped for both.

Did you break the small clip? I reused the same clips that holds down the stock trim pieces. Only reason to touch them is to clean them and then place adhesive on them. When searching for the clips, two will be listed. I believe the black colored clips are for an older version Explorer and to be honest I would have preferred the black ones as they are longer, but if you purchase for the 5th generation, it is the same as the clip you have already on your Explorer.

Thanks for the props on my Amazon review.. LOL. Did you purchase the same molding?

Ok.. it has been a while since I posted here. But more mods have been installed on EcoHell. I had my hands full with my 9+ month old puppy (Thor), at the shop, so pictures were a little scarce..I will take more and update. Any hoot.. enjoy..

Even Thor was impressed with the Steeda Anti-Sway bar...HA!
M1RAPZz.jpg

Installed Bilstein B6s all around..
0khvGvH.jpg

gEAx8ty.jpg

VCOf1lK.jpg

bTLXQ5r.jpg

Replaced the Transmission Torque Strut with Tony DiCunzolo's version...
Stock:
5IBAaDT.jpg

Tony's:
TS4Np5R.jpg

XAKatzX.jpg

Also an oil change, new plugs and the other day, I installed the sequential mirror turn signals.

Back