• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Scanner and/or Readers recomendations

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: Looking for recommendations to purchase a QUALITY Scanner and/or Reader to be used on my '02 Sport Trac and 02 Ranger.

Whenever the CLE lights have come on these 2 vehicles I've made the trip to the local auto parts retail store and have had them "read" the codes with their generic tester. The read outs can be hit or miss. I do most of my own maintenance and repair within the limits of a owner (back yard mechanic :) )

I would like to use my WIndows (XP) Laptop. I would like to use a Scanner and/or Reader that uses a cable to interface with the OBDII connector and my laptop. I don't have a Smartphone. Don't want a wireless system (I think I don't).

I have D/Led the FORscan program to my Laptop and I think I would like to use that program.

I dont want a CHEAP problem prone Scanner and/or Reader, ie: chinese knock off. I'm will to pay GOOD $$$ for a unit ie: couple hundred dollars.

I doubt I'll ever purchase a vehicle OLDER than my '02s so the Scanner and/or Reader does not need to work on "older" cars BUT working with "newer" vehicles would be a plus.

Thoughts?

ptf18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ngrimm

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I use Forscan on my laptop and on my smartphone and I think it is great. IMO you'd have to pay quite a bit for a handheld scanner that will to what Forscan does for nearly nothing. But I understand if you don't have a smartphone and you need something portable.

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Ngrimm: Thanks. What "adapter" are you using to connect your laptop/smartphone to the OBDII port?

Ngrimm

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I am using a BAFX OBD2 to Bluetooth adapter about $20. I also had to get a bluetooth usb adadaper for my old laptop but I mostly use it with with my Android smart phone. I think any adapters that mention forscan the description would work but the BAFX seemed like a safe bet at is has worked fine. To use it with Ipad or other Iphones I think you need to use a wireless adapter instead of bluetooth.

gtyates

Reaction score
City, State
Goodlettsville Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'09 Sport Trac, '17 Explo
I am using Forscan and an ELM adapter I picked up off of Amazon.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
@gtyates I'm going through this purchase now.

Are you running Windows/10 on a laptop? Can you provide me with a link to the ELM327 you purchased off Amazon? Did you require a driver?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Looks like I'm going to go with the BAFX wireless interface based on @96eb96 recommendation/experience.

Thanks for everyone's input.