Scanner and/or Readers recomendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scanner and/or Readers recomendations

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: Looking for recommendations to purchase a QUALITY Scanner and/or Reader to be used on my '02 Sport Trac and 02 Ranger.

Whenever the CLE lights have come on these 2 vehicles I've made the trip to the local auto parts retail store and have had them "read" the codes with their generic tester. The read outs can be hit or miss. I do most of my own maintenance and repair within the limits of a owner (back yard mechanic :) )

I would like to use my WIndows (XP) Laptop. I would like to use a Scanner and/or Reader that uses a cable to interface with the OBDII connector and my laptop. I don't have a Smartphone. Don't want a wireless system (I think I don't).

I have D/Led the FORscan program to my Laptop and I think I would like to use that program.

I dont want a CHEAP problem prone Scanner and/or Reader, ie: chinese knock off. I'm will to pay GOOD $$$ for a unit ie: couple hundred dollars.

I doubt I'll ever purchase a vehicle OLDER than my '02s so the Scanner and/or Reader does not need to work on "older" cars BUT working with "newer" vehicles would be a plus.

Thoughts?

ptf18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Forscan on my laptop and on my smartphone and I think it is great. IMO you'd have to pay quite a bit for a handheld scanner that will to what Forscan does for nearly nothing. But I understand if you don't have a smartphone and you need something portable.

Ngrimm: Thanks. What "adapter" are you using to connect your laptop/smartphone to the OBDII port?

I am using a BAFX OBD2 to Bluetooth adapter about $20. I also had to get a bluetooth usb adadaper for my old laptop but I mostly use it with with my Android smart phone. I think any adapters that mention forscan the description would work but the BAFX seemed like a safe bet at is has worked fine. To use it with Ipad or other Iphones I think you need to use a wireless adapter instead of bluetooth.

I am using Forscan and an ELM adapter I picked up off of Amazon.

@gtyates I'm going through this purchase now.

Are you running Windows/10 on a laptop? Can you provide me with a link to the ELM327 you purchased off Amazon? Did you require a driver?

Looks like I'm going to go with the BAFX wireless interface based on @96eb96 recommendation/experience.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Back