Screwy OBDII pinout on my 04 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Screwy OBDII pinout on my 04 explorer

Amarotica

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hi all,
I recently got an 04 explorer. It came with some odd but not hidden transmission problems and also the spare tire rim on it so no TPMS sensor on that wheel. I bought a OBDII scan tool that claims to read manufacture codes and generic codes but no codes are coming up for the constant TPMS dash light nor the transmission. I really want to figure out the tranny problems and I am guessing it's a shift solenoid that's stuck or broken but I can't read the codes!!! Anybody have any clue if t is a wiring problem in the explorer or the OBDII scanner that has the problems? The scanner doesn't say it has errors but I thought it was odd that the OBDII port on the car does not match any OBDII pinouts on google... Could somebody take a picture of their OBDII port on their 04 explorer? Thanks a lot! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzojNZze7c97UGNCUWFyYUtjUzQ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,
I recently got an 04 explorer. It came with some odd but not hidden transmission problems and also the spare tire rim on it so no TPMS sensor on that wheel. I bought a OBDII scan tool that claims to read manufacture codes and generic codes but no codes are coming up for the constant TPMS dash light nor the transmission. I really want to figure out the tranny problems and I am guessing it's a shift solenoid that's stuck or broken but I can't read the codes!!! Anybody have any clue if t is a wiring problem in the explorer or the OBDII scanner that has the problems? The scanner doesn't say it has errors but I thought it was odd that the OBDII port on the car does not match any OBDII pinouts on google... Could somebody take a picture of their OBDII port on their 04 explorer? Thanks a lot! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzojNZze7c97UGNCUWFyYUtjUzQ
@Amarotica

Your scan tool must be capable of reading "CAN Protocol". The cheapies don't. Transmission codes require CAN capability. Check that first. It should tell you in the manual. Cheapies read only Emissions codes. Often, the auto parts stores use a non-CAN tool to do free checks. They know that they can't sell certain CAN-related parts, so will not bother to reveal ABS or transmission codes to you. No one will sell you a new late model ABS Module, for example, because it must be programmed with your VIN number. You can buy a used module, and it will light the ABS light constantly.

One wheel lacking the TPMS sensor will light the lamp continuously. There will be no TPMS codes, I don't think.

I would doubt that your Data Link Connector is incorrect. Does you scan tool plug into it? If yes, why do you think it's wrong? I'll scan the Ford Shop Manual picture of the DLC tonight, and post it. imp

EDIT: Connector C251
img50510.jpg

@imp

Thanks a lot for the scan of the OBDII Pinout! When I looked around on the internet, I did not see a single OBDII pinout the same as I had (same as your picture) and so I thought maybe somebody modified it or something to fit their customization but clearly it wasn't modded so I'm really happy about that! Although the scan tool said it could read "CAN Protocol," clearly it can't for two reasons: 1. I took off the cover of the OBDII connector on the diagnostic reader and wires don't match up with the CAN data wires and, 2. It was $18 :p

I'm going to try and return it and maybe find a real CAN scan tool or maybe spend the money and just take it to the dealership this time.

Anyways, I really appreciate the help...
Taylor

@imp

Thanks a lot for the scan of the OBDII Pinout! When I looked around on the internet, I did not see a single OBDII pinout the same as I had (same as your picture) and so I thought maybe somebody modified it or something to fit their customization but clearly it wasn't modded so I'm really happy about that! Although the scan tool said it could read "CAN Protocol," clearly it can't for two reasons: 1. I took off the cover of the OBDII connector on the diagnostic reader and wires don't match up with the CAN data wires and, 2. It was $18 :p

I'm going to try and return it and maybe find a real CAN scan tool or maybe spend the money and just take it to the dealership this time.

Anyways, I really appreciate the help...
Taylor
@Amoritica

If you buy a piece of ****, that's what you will end up with. I use now a Bosch 1100, about $100. Once you can (no pun) see the whole field of codes, it should become clearer. I use only Ford authorized info, as so much bullshit is present on the net, you can't count on it.

You're welcome! imp

Back