Seafoam on a SOHC w/pictures

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
When I first came to this site I started to see the many mentions of seafoam. I've works on many vehicles and have never heard of the product. Everyoe here seems to rave about the use of seafoam, so I thought I would give it a try. I just recently got this truck (2001 Mounty 4.0 SOHC) so this is my first expirience in the engine compartment (other then when I looked at the truck).

1) the very first step was to remove the four screws from the intake cover and remove the cover itself.

This is when I noticed two things. One, the upper intake is plastic, hmm not built like my OHV motor. Two, there are no vacume lines that feed both sides of the engine at once. So I would either have to apply seafoam through two separate lines, or make a slight modification to the vacum setup. Since I love to make modifications, heres what I did...

After further inspection of the vacum lines I noticed that the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve was setup to feed both side of the engine. that's when the light turned on :thumbsup:

2) Step two, Purchase, or in my case find 3 brass tee's and vacume line to splice into the PCV valve lines, creating a one line setup to suck the seafoam into both side of the engine at once. (See pictures)

3) once all the lines are buttoned up, I simply followed the directions on the can to slowly suck the seafoam in the engine

4) imediately after getting the seafoam into the engine turn it off and let it sit, the can says 5 minutes however I applied it and then changed oil in my rear diff

5) Start up the motor to run the seafoam through. I took it out on the road and gave it some "what fer" to blow out any remnants of dirt/seafoam in the engine.

6) some people here recommend that you change plugs, I think that sounds like good advice. So I plan to change out my plugs as soon as my engine cools down (while I type this) So bottom line is plan this around your maintanaince. Although I must note that the truck ran fine after the first few moments of running.

OK so here are the pictures
parts1.jpg

This parts picture one, you will need two of the Tee's with a 1/2" connector match the tee's up to the type of vacume line you purchase. I used the hard nylon vacum hose(had it laying around)

parts2.jpg

ok this is the cap that I use to block off the vacum line when not using it to suck seafoam into the engine

driverside.jpg

This is the driver side splice on the PCV hose. Cut it front far enough to clear the brake booster line but not front so far that you don't have enough hose to insert the tee into.

passside.jpg

again cut it front far enough to clear the vacume lines in the intake

finalassembly.jpg

This is the final assembly with everything ready to treat my engine on both sides.

This was a very easy mod, and if you want to apply seafoam on a SOHC it is almost required to ensure that you are treating both sides of the engine.

OK time to go bust my knuckles changing plugs

Cheers!

nice write up man Thumbs Up im sure this will help newbys out alot

Nice write up. Thanks for the info!

Back