Seafoam...Where to hook up on a 4.0 SOHC ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam...Where to hook up on a 4.0 SOHC ??

Katmandu

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I need to clean up the intake and combustion chambers on my 4.0 SOHC.

I hear Seafoam is the way to go and it needs hooked up to a vacuum source to work.

Where can a find a suitable vacuum source to connect the can of Seafoam ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Katmandu said:

I'm curious, how do you know your combustion chambers need to be cleaned? Or even the intake for that matter? I know you can pull the intake and see an oily film in there on some vehicles. Is that what you are referring to in the intake?

Katmandu said:

I hear Seafoam is the way to go and it needs hooked up to a vacuum source to work.

Where can a find a suitable vacuum source to connect the can of Seafoam ??

There are a zillion threads on this topic on the site. Try the search feature and you'll see there are plenty of schools of thought on how it should be done. It's well worth reading all the different strategies because people seem to have varying degrees of success with each method.

p.s. I use the "IAC" method as described in that thread that Aldive linked to. Works great.

I have yet to try the seafoam.Probably will next time I need cleaning.I use a throttle body and upper intake cleaner out of the spray can.Just spray it right in the throttle body,do this for a while then when I notice the black smoke is about gone I spray more in till it stalls then till about after a 1/2 can is gone i quit spraying it,let it sit for about 30 minutes,then fire it back,it'll be kinda hard to start since you actually flooded it out but depress the gas pedal some and it will take right off,rev it up a few times to it idles,than run her down the road.

Katmandu said:
My Ex is running like CRAP after I did the Seafoam thing. It developed an engine miss and the MPG dropped about 5 MPG.

NO CEL, plugs are fairly new as well as the plug wires.

What could be going on here ????

Katmandu said:
My Ex is running like CRAP after I did the Seafoam thing. It developed an engine miss and the MPG dropped about 5 MPG.

Is your MAF hooked back up correctly? Any other vacuum leaks?

Katmandu said:

Hook up an OBD II scanner and monitor the function of your O2 sensors.

Good luck .......

Back