• Register Today It's free!

Seam sealer

Cletusmagert

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
This is my first post. First off wanted to say hi and thanks everyone for all the information on here.

We just traded in our 2013 Explorer for a 2019 Explorer Limited. We live in Upstate New York in the lake effect snow belt. I was looking to apply some seam sealer or something, on the inside of all the doors where the skin wraps around to keep the salt from sitting in there. This is where our previous Explorer rusted, all 4 doors and rear hatch. Really wish Ford would’ve done this from the factory. What can apply on top of the paint? Seam sealer, clear silicone? When this is done I’m also going to have a friend of mine do the Krown rust proofing on the vehicle.

Hopefully someone has already done something like this and can give me some advice. Thank you

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are a few posts on rust issues so that may not be a bad idea. I lease mine so never have them long enough to run into the rust issue. You may also want to keep an eye out for paint bubbles on the leading edge of the hood in the future. Not much you can do to prevent that. Your Warranty Guide says that sorrt of thing is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.
Rust!
Hood Paint bubble issue only

Peter

I just sanded my doors down and repainted. The rust wasn't as deep as I expected. Yes, seam sealer would help. 3m makes a good one. I would talk to a body shop. Don't want to look in moisture either.

Honestly though, I'd take a new Toyota anyday over a new Ford for corrosion/rust issues. Just saying. My wife won't let me get a new car. I tell her cheaper to get a new car than.....nevermind

Back