• Register Today It's free!

search for more mpg numbers

Reaction score
City, State
Groton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Hi I'm Ben,
I am new to the forum and cant wait to post pics of my 99 explorer. I would like to know if anyone could help me with trying to get my mpg up on my truck. It is a stock 1999 xlt 5.0 v8 all wheel drive I understand it wont get the best mileage but I was wondering what mods I could do to my truck to get it from 12 mpg city to 15-20 mpg city?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think those numbers are realistic for an AWD V8 mounted inside of a heavy loaf of bread... (at least the high end)

Joe is right. There is no way to realistically achieve your goal. You have heard the term "gas guzzlers" right? These trucks were never designed to be economical. The original EPA estimates for the V8 truck when brand new were only 13 city and 17 highway. Street style tires and multiple mods while hypermiling will get you a couple extra mpg on the highway but won't do squat on city milage for an AWD.

You may be able to gain some mpg if you convert it to the bw 4406.

My 2wd 2000 5.0L (160K miles) averages 16.9 mpg city on computer display. I drive it with economy in mind (hyper-miling) most othe time. Google hyper-miling: helps more in city than you think. I'm taking it to Hamilton,TX 5/12/2012 250mi. RT for my first hwy trip. I'll reset my trip computer display to start and top off tank before and after to calculate the old fashion way.

fuelly.jpg

Mostly highway, driving under the speed limit. Best MPG was a long stretch of downhill, downwind 55mph driving.

I can't pull that in the city, no way, no how. I also really don't want to hypermile by tossing it in neutral and coasting with the engine off. I'll coast a lot, and be very mindful of lights, route, and stops. In the winter or the city, it's 15mpg.

In short, buy a more fuel efficient car. Like the one above it, that I just drive.

Some claim 3-5 mpg gain with an electric fan

Best bang for the buck is the E-fan, under driver pulleys, and tires
The above assumes everything is working as it was designed.

Increase tire psi, and ECO driving style.

I claim gaining 3mpg by removing my roof rack.

Joe, you kill me!
I guess Id have to say, truthfully, i didnt see a gain with my efan. I should be claimimg 2mpg though.
If I remove my roof rack, that would net me 5 extra mpg. I didnt think gaining all that mpg would be so easy.

:)

I didn't get 3mpg from removing my roof rack.

I do know that the larger front chin spoiler on the 2011+ Escape netted another nearly 2 MPG, wonder how big of a chin spoiler I'd have to put on the Ex to gain some... :D

:)

I didn't get 3mpg from removing my roof rack.

Ah, confessions! hahaha....
The escape looks like a pretty good vehicle. With better mileage also. I wonder if you could supercharge it? Joe? Thoughts?

Put it this way- the 4 cylinder Escape could use a SC, for sure... But the mileage is nice. Pulled an average 30 MPG on our weeklong trip to Traverse City and back... :thumbsup:

Your best bet is to make sure all maintence is up to date (ie tune-up, fuel filters, air filter). Make you sure your tires are set at the proper pressure, do not over inflat unless you dont mind having uneven wearing tires. Dont feel bad, my Lightning gets 7/8 mpg city driving if Im lucky.

The bad MPG in the city come from stopping, then going again. My 96' EB get MAYBE 11-12 MPG in the city. Don't forget your truck weighs A LOT, and simply moving from a stop takes a lot. To be honest just accepting it is easier then do some crazy mods for a 1/2 of a MPG.

although on the Highway drag from the boxed shaped body is what kills us, I am still considering doing something drastic. The Audi Sport Quattro S1 comes to mind.... ;)

1986_Audi_Quattro_S1_007_9132.jpg

My 2 cents

1. Synthetic oil, transmission fluid, and gear oils will probably gain you about 5% total
2. Keep your tires inflated to 35 psi (as long as your tire can handle it)
3. Drop the front end down an inch or so and install a chin spoiler. Just use the torsion adjusters to do this, you may need to trim your bumpstops
4. Tune up!
5. Weight reduction. Get all of the random crap out of the car, and consider replacing the heavy steel spare with an alloy one. Also consider only filling your fuel tank half way - the tank is about 18 gallons, so saving 9 gallons at 6 lbs/gallon means 54 lb reduction on average. If you have step bars, they are surprisingly heavy, probably at least 40 lbs per side - consider removing them if you don't use them often.
6. Edit: Lastly, make sure you don't always drive around with the a/c compressor running, if you don't need it. The compressor will always run, in all modes EXCEPT dash vents only and floor vents only. It will always run in both A/C modes (obviously), dash/floor vent mix, and defrost settings.

FWIW, my rig has been averaging about 18 mpg in mixed driving. I have not replaced my spare, nor have I installed a chin spoiler.

Back