MPG comments

Josh C.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Live in: Santa Ana, CA - - - From: Oshawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mounty v8 AWD
I just wanted to post my MPG and see if its where it should be.
1998 Mounty 5.0 AWD with 33x12x15 and stock 3.73LS I would get 8.5-9.5 city and around 13-14 freeway
When I converted to 4406 my MPG didn't change at all, I was hoping for an increase but nothing really happened. Normal?
I still need to re-gear but that will probably be next year when my funds fill back up. What increase should I expect?
I'm pretty light on the gas pedal when I drive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, no its not, I didn't think about that. Let me try some math and see if its correct. If my speedo reads that I travel 14.3 miles and my GPS reads that I actually traveled about 16.3 than that's a difference of about 14%
So instead of getting around 180miles between fill ups I'm really getting about 205ish.
My mpg are more like 10.8city and 15.4highway

33's are your greatest MPG foe sir. After your speedo being off conversion (which is easy to forget but important to figure in) you're actually doing decent on the freeway... City driving is still kinda bad.

Thats where I`m at on the freeway , running the same as you , tires and gears. My ranger pickup gets into the 17`s stock tires with 4:10 .

best i can get on 31's with 3;73 gears is almost 20 mpg, but driving with one eye on the scan guage 2 to keep track,, add some in town driving and it's alot less,,

Ranges from 12-15 city depending on how I treat the throttle, about 21hwy on cruise.

best ive got was 385 miles on a tank (32s and 3.73 straight highway driving) AWD

now with 33s, same gears, bumper, sliders, tools, I get 220 a tank driving like a grandpa in the city, usual around 300 on the highway though. 186miles, just put in a new timing chain and water pump. (also have a BW4406)

I get about 14 city, 18 highway - all stock 96 AWD 5.0 with full synthetic fluids.

Sounds like your about inline with expectations.

Thanks for your input everyone

I just wanted to follow up to this thread many years later. With OBX headers, regeared to 4.56, air locker jn the back, LS in the front and a more aggressive cam, I get 8 to 9 city and 13 freeway (if I'm on the freeway my roof rack is usually piled high with camping stuff). Those numbers take into consideration the 10% speedo difference

Back