• Register Today It's free!

Seat belt chime...

scritt83

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Expl. S Trac,02 Expl.
How do I bypass the chime? I'm assuming it's in the buckle. It doesn't do anything when seat belt is buckled. Is there a way to splice seat belt wires together? If so, which ones? Didn't want to go cutting since I'm not sure about the air bag sensor if there's one on the buckle like other cars. Also have tried the deactivate method. Doesn't work since it doesn't read when it's buckled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean the seat belt light doesn't turn off? Is the buckle button sticking? If you haven't yet, place an old towel under the buckle and flush it out with WD-40 or a similar light penetrant with a spray tube. Click the belt into the buckle repeatedly to free the button up. If that doesn't help you likely need a new buckle.

You mean the seat belt light doesn't turn off? Is the buckle button sticking? If you haven't yet, place an old towel under the buckle and flush it out with WD-40 or a similar light penetrant with a spray tube. Click the belt into the buckle repeatedly to free the button up. If that doesn't help you likely need a new buckle.
Yeah I've done the wd40 thing. Seatbelt is latched but light still on and still chimes. Looking like New buckle unfortunately.

How do I bypass the chime? I'm assuming it's in the buckle. It doesn't do anything when seat belt is buckled. Is there a way to splice seat belt wires together? If so, which ones? Didn't want to go cutting since I'm not sure about the air bag sensor if there's one on the buckle like other cars. Also have tried the deactivate method. Doesn't work since it doesn't read when it's buckled.
To disable the seat belt alarm/warning chime, this worked for me:

With your seatbelt unbuckled, turn key to "on," but don't start car. Wait for red seatbelt warning light to go out--it takes about 60-90 seconds. As soon as it goes out, click and unclick your seatbelt quickly as many times as it takes to make the red warning light start blinking. Then turn key off and you are done.

I have disconnected the chimes in my cars through the years -- due partly to me sitting in the car and listening to music with the door open and not wanting to hear the ding ding. When I bought the Explorer, used in 2004, I hated that chime. I wasn't aware of any way to manually turn that "feature" off. So I found the little chimer in the passenger front kick panel and saw I could not just simply disconnect a wire as I had in the past. So I rolled the dice -- I pulled out a drill and drilled a hole through the center of the chime -- that shut it up. And I have had no bad repercussions since, such as draining battery or anything like that. No regrets. Also, since I drive around with no seat belt on, I didn't want to hear that thing beeping at me. I just went out to my car and checked the owners manual, it does give instructions on how to disable it -- but I never got around to trying it.

Just did the owners-manual thingy for my '02 XLS. Seemed to confirm seat belt chime disable. Unfortunately, when I get into the car and stick the key into the ignition (w/o buckling seat belt), it still chimes like a nagging child. Very disappointed that the procedure will not disable the most annoying chime of all--the first one. I always stick the key in the engine before buckling up (life habit in the North; let engine warm up a few more seconds before slipping into gear). I always belt up before getting more than a few feet down the road.

Going to have to explore the drill method!

I fixed it by replacing buckle. Something was wrong internally with old one...

I had to run the procedure in the manual twice on my 2003 to kill the chime. I got it right the first time on my 2004. Give it another shot before you drill holes in anything.

I had to run the procedure in the manual twice on my 2003 to kill the chime. I got it right the first time on my 2004. Give it another shot before you drill holes in anything.
Do you mean that yours does not chime at all when you insert key and turn to "run" or "start" w/o buckling?

Correct. Neither of them do now. I get the initial chime, but not the fast "you'll kill yourself" alert chime.

To disable the seat belt alarm/warning chime, this worked for me:

With your seatbelt unbuckled, turn key to "on," but don't start car. Wait for red seatbelt warning light to go out--it takes about 60-90 seconds. As soon as it goes out, click and unclick your seatbelt quickly as many times as it takes to make the red warning light start blinking. Then turn key off and you are done.
I tried other ideas and statements people said with no avail. But "cetnargwen" hit it right on the nose. First and it worked. Now I did notice that the belt sensor rang once and from then on all was quite. Made the wife happy with her 2 day old 2018 Explorer Platinum.

NO, it did not work but for one day. This AM went to get groceries and it started like nothing happened. Go Figure. More research is in order.

Back