• Register Today It's free!

Seat Belt Problems

BP_93explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport 2wd (GONE)
The seat belt comes unbuckled by itself. The spring on the buckle seems to be broken. There is only one on ebay that I've found (three other people bidding on it). Anybody know what other years or vehicles they used this buckle on? I think I need to widen my search.

This is a safety problem so I may break down and go to the dealer if I must. Anybody know the outrageous price they would charge?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Er... one word: Junkers. I think an entire belt should run like $10... if it's just the buckle, maybe like $5... or free if you can fit it in your pocket... =P

Just bring the appropriate tools... I think you'll need Torx bits...

I would think that 91-94 for sure would be the same, and that Ranger w/ bucket seats would probably be the same. 2nd Gen (95 -01) may also work, but that might be more iffy.

I think that all of the buckles would be the same for all (or most all) Fords, but the problem might be the length of the belt from the mounting point on the floor to the position next to the seat.

A trip to a junk yard might find something that works.

Just in case anyone else is looking for a cheap fix on the same issue. Like may others, my driver's side seat belt buckle spring had failed. Try as might, nobody makes a replacement spring. My guess is folks like Dorman won't touch it for legal reasons. Unlike Honda, Ford will not service these seat belt buckles free of charge. I didn't want a junkyard or used buckle as it would have the same failure eventually. I did find a free work around:

Go to your Ford dealer and ask for a seat belt extender. Mine was free and had an almost identical spring. Part number E3FZ61611C22B EXTENSION came in a bag marked NOT FOR RESALE. You can find folks selling them on eBay for $10 and up.
s-l200.jpg

After opening up the new belt buckle, I did have to use tin snips to cut an 1/8" from the end of this new spring. My belt buckle is as good as new now and makes the Explorer feel safe again.

Just in case anyone else is looking for a cheap fix on the same issue. Like may others, my driver's side seat belt buckle spring had failed. Try as might, nobody makes a replacement spring. My guess is folks like Dorman won't touch it for legal reasons. Unlike Honda, Ford will not service these seat belt buckles free of charge. I didn't want a junkyard or used buckle as it would have the same failure eventually. I did find a free work around:

Go to your Ford dealer and ask for a seat belt extender. Mine was free and had an almost identical spring. Part number E3FZ61611C22B EXTENSION came in a bag marked NOT FOR RESALE. You can find folks selling them on eBay for $10 and up.
s-l200.jpg

After opening up the new belt buckle, I did have to use tin snips to cut an 1/8" from the end of this new spring. My belt buckle is as good as new now and makes the Explorer feel safe again.
Awesome, I'm going to try it this week as I've been driving around with no seat belt for a year. I had already got one from the junk yard and it broke almost immediately

Back