Seat Interchangeability? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat Interchangeability?

97SHOgt

Reaction score
I have a '99 Explorer Sport with leather seats. In my opinion the front seats are quite hard and uncomfortable. My sister had a '96 XLT with leather and her seats were always a lot more comfortable/plush than mine. I'm wondering if I found an XLT/Eddie Bauer/Limited/Mountaineer, I could switch them in? My plan would be to pull the leather off my current seats and wrap them on the ones I'm switching in so they match. Wondering if this is feasible or even makes sense. I just drive a lot and they are starting to get uncomfortable. Anybody have any input?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure second gen seats are second gen seats. No real difference in them other than electric bells and whistles (to my knowledge).

Well I know that on my sisters XLT, the foam shape was different. I don't know what they were called but it had the bolsters or whatever on the bottom part of the seat that would squeeze your butt (which I do not have or need). So I wonder if the seat shape from '98's to '01's are the same, and if the different models have different comfort levels. I know Mounty's tend to have more plush seats which is what I'm looking for.

Maybe I could just add some padding to the bottom? The back doesn't really bother me too much.

OK, I guess I should have been more clear in my response. I was saying that I thought they would fit in your truck. There are some with more bells and whistles than others. I do not have the electric lumbar pillow, but everything else is electric, save the seat back recline.
My Mounty seats do have a bit of a bolstering on the sides that kind of cradle the sides of your butt, but as time has gone by and wear has taken hold, I have one on my right and the one on the left side is more or less flattened out by getting in and out of the truck.
I have driven Exploders that have more of a flat seat that wasn't very comfortable to me (after having my Mounty seats cradleing (spell check) my butt).

Back