• Register Today It's free!

Seat Swap

bearcat

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 NGPI Utility
Hi everybody, Im doing a seat swap in my 2017 PIU. I got a complete interior out of a 2016 XLT, and everything went in without a hitch except for the wiring. The driver's side controls work, but I'm getting codes for the seat position sensor and the seat belt sensor. For the passenger's side I had to swap the power and ground wires in the harness but the have the same issue with the seat position sensor and the seat belt sensor. I found the connectors C311 and C312 but can't figure out what is crossed up. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you have the actual error codes?

Did you install the pretensioners from your PIU onto the donor seats? If not, possible that those were blown on the donor seats during the impact that totalled that vehicle. Also, in Forscan you can set/calibrate seat position - that may be your seat position issue, but codes will help first.

Okay I scanned it with Forscan. It shows no readings for the seat position sensor and the seat belt. I finally got around to tearing apart the original seat and it looks like the wiring for the seat belts, air bags and seat position sensor are in different spots in the connector. Also the position sensor is a different part. I think the PI's kept the same parts from 13-19 were the retail models changed in 16. So now I guess I will have to rewire the retail seat with the harness of PI. If anyone has the harness maps it would be appreciated. I picked up a copy of the wiring manual and it wasn't much help. Thanks again.

I would just depin the seat connector and relocate the pins to the correct location. The seat harness actually disengage/repin really well.

I didn't run into a problem with any position sensors using a pre16 seat into a 16 vehicle, but can't recall if I swapped the sensor over to the non PIU seat. It's under the seat in the metal webbing, right? Is the plug the same and you can just remove the sensor from the PIU to civilian seat?

do you have the actual error codes?

Did you install the pretensioners from your PIU onto the donor seats? If not, possible that those were blown on the donor seats during the impact that totalled that vehicle. Also, in Forscan you can set/calibrate seat position - that may be your seat position issue, but codes will help first.
Is that something that should be done? also, how does one do that?

yes. generally, a salvage vehicle has been in a wreck and the safety restraint system will 1) log a collision/safety restraint code - can usually be cleared in forscan and 2) blow the pretensioner. They're basically little one time use explosives so you'd want to unbolt the good one from your existing seat and swap it with the likely blown one from the donor seat to avoid having to do work twice.

yes. generally, a salvage vehicle has been in a wreck and the safety restraint system will 1) log a collision/safety restraint code - can usually be cleared in forscan and 2) blow the pretensioner. They're basically little one time use explosives so you'd want to unbolt the good one from your existing seat and swap it with the likely blown one from the donor seat to avoid having to do work twice.
I think my issue is that the seats I got are from a 2011-12 model which do not have the tensioner. I guess I am either to swap the leather into the piu seat or find a way to adjust the harness.

Any progress or pictures of what y’all have done. Very curious. I’d like to do the same.

Where is this pretensioners on the seat? I have seats out of a 2014 and the drivers side airbag was blown on the steering wheel. Now when I plug the new seats in my car a 2017 piu, I get an airbag light.

Where is this pretensioners on the seat? I have seats out of a 2014 and the drivers side airbag was blown on the steering wheel. Now when I plug the new seats in my car a 2017 piu, I get an airbag light.

Did you ever figure it out?

Pretensioner is in the buckle assembly in the middle of the car

Back