Secret Sport Mode? =P Sand Mode | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secret Sport Mode? =P Sand Mode

It's unfortunate that Ford didn't design this as a rear bias AWD system. Torque steer wouldn't be a problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's unfortunate that Ford didn't design this as a rear bias AWD system. Torque steer wouldn't be a problem.
I never noticed any torque steer in either my previous 2011 Ltd or my current MKT.

Peter

I don't currently own a Ford so I can't say firsthand. My comment was based on other members posts.

Do you know if the MKT has a front or rear biased AWD system?

My 2014 Buick Encore with front bias (138HP and 148 ft. lbs) has noticeable torque steer whereas my wife's Porsche Macan S with rear bias (340 HP and 339 ft. lbs.) has none.

The front wheel torque steer is the only thing I don't like about this truck! Was very surprised to feel that during my test drives.

I'll have to try this sand mode on my commute home!

I don't currently own a Ford so I can't say firsthand. My comment was based on other members posts.

Do you know if the MKT has a front or rear biased AWD system?

My 2014 Buick Encore with front bias (138HP and 148 ft. lbs) has noticeable torque steer whereas my wife's Porsche Macan S with rear bias (340 HP and 339 ft. lbs.) has none.
It's front wheel biased, the same as the Explorer and has the same 365 HP and 350 ft-lb torque as the Sport.

Peter

I don't think they can say it for liability reasons but, my thought is that, Ford says the Sand and Mud/Rut modes are for off-road only because these modes turn off traction control which can quickly and easily put you in a ditch or worse if the wheels brake free of the pavement. And, I'm sure Ford would be doubly loath to tell you to hit the tow button and put it in Sand Mode for your evening commute...

I don't think they can say it for liability reasons but, my thought is that, Ford says the Sand and Mud/Rut modes are for off-road only because these modes turn off traction control which can quickly and easily put you in a ditch or worse if the wheels brake free of the pavement. And, I'm sure Ford would be doubly loath to tell you to hit the tow button and put it in Sand Mode for your evening commute...

Totally agree!:thumbsup::)

I really wish someone could find a detailed -accurate- description of each drive mode. Something like:

Sand Mode: max available power to rear wheels, traction control disabled, gears 5 and 6 locked out. Throttle response increased.

Normal: rear wheels not powered unless needed. Shift points and throttle response mapped for peak efficiency.

etc. etc.

I really wish they wouldn't dumb it down so much. Use this mode for snow! Use this one in the mud! Ugh.

I really wish someone could find a detailed -accurate- description of each drive mode. Something like:

Sand Mode: max available power to rear wheels, traction control disabled, gears 5 and 6 locked out. Throttle response increased.

Normal: rear wheels not powered unless needed. Shift points and throttle response mapped for peak efficiency.

etc. etc.

I really wish they wouldn't dumb it down so much. Use this mode for snow! Use this one in the mud! Ugh.

This link has some of the info you seek.

http://www.dahlford.com/blog/2016-ford-explorer-intelligent-4wd-and-terrain-management-system/

Had a chance to test this out last night as the roads in my area were dry for the first time in a few days. Needless to say I'm excited. The torque steer was completely unnoticable. Also loved the aggressive gear changes.

This really should have been the default drive setting!!

If only they actually had a real Sport mode tuned into the car.

Revisiting an old thread. I've been playing with sand mode some and noticed you can just use the paddle shifters to go into 5th and 6th.

can someone run 0-60 and 1/4 in Normal and Sand mode with auto shift to see if theres a difference. I think most phones now should be able to download an app for free and should work since they have built in accelerometers, anyone , anyone? o_O

can someone run 0-60 and 1/4 in Normal and Sand mode with auto shift to see if theres a difference. I think most phones now should be able to download an app for free and should work since they have built in accelerometers, anyone , anyone? o_O

I'll be doing 0-60 test soon and report back. I'll be trying normal/trans in sport a couple times then try sand and let you guys know how it goes.

I'll be doing 0-60 test soon and report back. I'll be trying normal/trans in sport a couple times then try sand and let you guys know how it goes.
Just an FYI. According to the Manual;
Note: The Sand and Mud/Ruts modes are
for off-road use only.

Peter

Just an FYI. According to the Manual;
Note: The Sand and Mud/Ruts modes are
for off-road use only.

Peter

Yes, it has been gone over. And according to Ford service it's completely safe on pavement. I'm sure it's written that way because it shuts off TC so Ford is covering there butt if something were to happen.

Just put the transmission in Sport Mode. That's what's it's there for. Leave the other modes of the terrain Management system for off-road use only.

I live in WV and using sport mode on Mountainous, twisty roads makes a big difference. When cruising on the interstates I put it in the normal drive mode.

Just put the transmission in Sport Mode. That's what's it's there for. Leave the other modes of the terrain Management system for off-road use only.

I live in WV and using sport mode on Mountainous, twisty roads makes a big difference. When cruising on the interstates I put it in the normal drive mode.

As far as I can tell "Sport" mode only affects transmission and slightly in suspension. It appears to do nothing with power delivery. Sand mode actually sends more power/torque to the rear wheels instantly. I'm not sure about in the pre 15 but in the '17 there is an AWD power delivery in display and if you watch it between "sport" and normal it doesn't change. But in sand it sends power to the rear instantly, which ultimately should create better acceleration. It feels like it does to me anyways.

You should be able to bring up the display which shows where the power is going and try both modes to see if there is a difference.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked it once with normal and once with sand mode after about 2 min, was .25 sec slower 0-60. I might try sand mode first in case the engine was too hot the 2nd time

Back