Separator plate question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Separator plate question

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
I have been search on here for a couple days now and cant find my answer.
I have a 93 explorer that im putting a new motor in, and forgot to put the separator plate back in. This is my first motor swap, and im doing it by my self. My question is can I leave the separator plate out or do I need to pull the motor out some and put it back on? Whats the point of it? Someone told me its a gaskit and other people say its just a sheld. Also I seen on here searching that there might be a gasket that goes on top of it. Is that true, because when I pulled the motor out there was not one in it.
Thank you for your time in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldnt pull the tranny down over that plate. If it gives you problems, fix it. If not, drive it. The only thing I can think that it may effect, would be the throw on starter, now that the motor and tranny are a fraction of an inch closer, but I kind of doubt it.

bump does anyone else have any ideas whats it for? Im kinda thinking ford dident use it for no reason.

On a side note I was wondering if anyone knows were to get cheap rear leaf spring shackles. I dont have a welder to weld a plate to them to make them stronger myself.

bump does anyone else have any ideas whats it for? Im kinda thinking ford dident use it for no reason.

On a side note I was wondering if anyone knows were to get cheap rear leaf spring shackles. I dont have a welder to weld a plate to them to make them stronger myself.
I had to buy mine brand new from ford, $100.
And now, today I get a 94 explorer for parts with brand new shackles.

If you have the time, I'd put the separator plate back, it keeps dirt and grime out of the bellhousing and off of the clutch.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think thats what im going to do. It was a ***** to get that danm thing to line up lol. I cant belive I forgot it. O well live and learn. This truck I have learned alot on, and want to get it running again. I got new (well to me) tranny lines today at the junk yard, and going back to get a back seat. Once I get it running in the next couple days I will get pics and list everything I have done to it for you guys. Man I wish I had befor pics of this thing.

I had to buy mine brand new from ford, $100.
And now, today I get a 94 explorer for parts with brand new shackles.

You want to get rid of those? Mine are bent. I allso need a right axle shaft. Mine is bent bad I get people telling me my wheel is falling off lol

You want to get rid of those? Mine are bent. I allso need a right axle shaft. Mine is bent bad I get people telling me my wheel is falling off lol
If you live in New England, I can hook you up, but to be honest, I really don't like dealing with shipping stuff around the country. Besides, I think only elite explorers can post sales on this forum.

Its all good. I have been reading on here people are useing the auto zone ones, and they work pretty good. On a side note I did get the motor pulled back out and the plate put in. The motor is back in, and lined up. Now all I have to do is put the bellhouseing bolts in and put everything else back together. I thinking of doing a mini write up, if you guys would like it of how everything goes back together. With any luck I will be done, and burning rubber tomarwo night. lmao

Let us know how it comes out

Im done but im not done. lol I got the motor in and put together. At first it dident want to run, and after some searching around I found out my vacume lines were wrong. Now it will sit and idle fine and runs ok. Sitting at idle it has a steady backfire now, but at the moment I am also running only headers. I think once I get the pipes back on and the two o2 sencers hooked up it will stop poping, and have more power. I also have to get a new top rad hose, but I dont see anymore leaks then that. Im thinking about takeing it to a shop to finish it up. I am getting alot more work now (very happy about that) ,and dont have alot of time. Plus it sucks laying on your back with hand tools in a storage unit doing all of this lol. I also want somebody to check my work due to this being my first motor swap I have ever done. I will try and make a video tonight if you all would like. My plans now are to finish motor, junkyard new right rear half shaft, rear shackles, (autozone brand) Maybe rear shocks, then take the interior out and clean clean clean. I have a better back seat im putting in, and door hinge. Then it will be odd and ends like gas gauge getting two wheels so I have a match set, etc.

Some things I have done so far is all new front bearings and seals, new tires, cd player, better rear carpet, better back seat, headliner, new front shocks jy new interior pieces, and a few other pieces like that. I think im going to make this my build thread. I am building to sell, but the more and more I work on it and drive it, I want to keep it. I will try and keep you guys posted, and put that video up for you. Let me know what you think good or bad.

Back