Serious electrical problem on my 91 explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious electrical problem on my 91 explorer xlt

Chance C

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
So I replaced the alternator and the battery, had both of them tested, and my battery still isn't getting charged. I even started my truck, removed the negative terminal and the truck died. I checked all my fuses, they are all good. So, I'm at a loss for words.

But, I'm scared of one thing, my gf dropped a penny in the 12v cigarette lighter and it started smoking. I cut off the wires and doctored them up with some electrical tape(individually as far back as I could) to be safe.

Could that be the problem? if so, would I have to replace my whole wiring harness? And, could there be anything else i'm missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you lost the fusible link between alt and solenoid.
roscoe

Here is a wiring diagram for a 1991 . hope it helps you out .

Attachments

• 1991 wiring.pdf
    823.1 KB · Views: 112

The wires for the cigarette lighter plug can just be pulled off the back of the plug, or you could have pulled the entire ash tray out of the dash and dumped the penny out. The fuse should have blown if there was a short occurring. If its the same as my 1994, the fuse is located in the engine compartment. This should have nothing to do with your alternator not charging the battery.

Do you have a volt meter? If so, start at the alternator with the engine running and work your way out to see where the voltage drops. A good alternator should be putting out 13-14.5 volts. The fusible link should be located at the starter relay. It is where one large gauge wire splits into two smaller wires.

Check all ground wires looking for corroded wiring. You can do that with the engine off.

And no, you will not need to replace the wiring harness.

my '92 does not split into wires for fusible link it is just a fusible link hooked to the hot side of starter relay on fender well.
roscoe

Here is the charging system for a 1994 year model. It should be nearly identical.
img002.jpg

I noticed when I was rewiring my Explorer that the alternator would not charge without the instrument cluster installed. Check the plugs on the back of the cluster. Trace the wiring for the system, starting at the alternator. It might be something as simple as a bad plug at the alternator. If one of the plugs is damaged or not pushed in all the way, the regulator will not sense a load and provide a charge.

Back