Service RSC Now after rear wheel spin or cold start in the mornings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Service RSC Now after rear wheel spin or cold start in the mornings

FHP89LX

Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mercury Mountaineer
Hope someone can figure this problem I have. I have a 2010 Mountaineer with 83,000 on her. About 3 months I was hearing horrible humming sound and I figured that the tires would need replacing. I had my windows down while driving by a long stretch of buildings and the building where very close to the road. I would hear like medal grinding from the front passenger side wheel and I knew then the tires where not the problem. Before all this, I was already having the Service rsc now light with sound on the dash with the usual abs light, traction light and brake light on.
I took the Mountaineer to a shop and it was the front passenger side wheel hub. I got it replaced and the truck runs smooth with no noise. The problem still exist with the Service rsc now. The light and sound only comes on when the truck spins it's right rear wheel. It will also come on in the mornings when the truck has been sitting all night and if the rear wheels spin backwards. Just to see what code I would get, I purposely spun the rear tires on the truck and when straight to a auto parts store to see if they can find a trouble code. I got a code of B1342.

In the morning the light turns on at cold start when I get ready to leave to work, I then turn off the truck then back on and I wont have any problems all day unless the rear wheel spins. I would appreciate any help with this. My truck is a Florida vehicle and Ive been living in Canada for 3 years now. Yeah I know, why Canada? hehe,long story but these problems started occurring in Canada.. Winter is coming and this will drive my crazy all day when the snow comes. I need this fixed/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Google "tone ring failure" for your truck. Sounds similar to what I have read.

Sounds like it could be a bad tone ring like he mentioned above, or the wheel speed sensor.

I had a 2009 Ford Edge, both front tone rings snapped at the same time. Was driving home, then my traction control went nuts, and almost caused me to start a multi-car pileup because I couldn't accelerate and was decelerating so fast. Found both of the front tone rings were spinning freely on the front axles. Ended up replacing the axles because the tone ring is built on them, and it fixed the issue.

Now have a 2003 Lincoln LS. ABS light came on while driving home the other day, then shortly after the Traction Control light came on and my message center showed "CHECK ADVANCETRAC"

Pulled the ABS code with my ELM27 wifi adapter, and Forscan on a laptop, it was the right rear wheel speed/abs sensor input missing. New sensor installed and all is well.

Difference with the LS vs the Edge was that the LS simply disabled features that required seeing all 4 wheel speeds and I drove like normal. The Edge did NOT disable those systems. Don't know if it was some kind of fault in my specific vehicle, but boy was it hell driving another 30 miles home.

Hey Guys, sorry I haven't replied back but I still have the same issue since I wrote on this forum. Actually now it's worse. Once I start up the truck, the ABS, Brake, and traction control lights come up with the Service RSC Now and the annoying sound on the dash. This will stay on all day. I took the truck to a shop and they put the truck on a scanner and also drove the truck with the scanner on. All sensors are good, but I did get the B1342 code (ECU Internal Fault)
I was told the ABS module needs to be changed but the B1342 code could be other issues. I am guessing it's the ABS module but would like to hear from you guys that had this issue. Also, would you recommend to take it to the dealer or buy the part online? Where should I but the part from?
Thanks

Hey Guys, sorry I haven't replied back but I still have the same issue since I wrote on this forum. Actually now it's worse. Once I start up the truck, the ABS, Brake, and traction control lights come up with the Service RSC Now and the annoying sound on the dash. This will stay on all day. I took the truck to a shop and they put the truck on a scanner and also drove the truck with the scanner on. All sensors are good, but I did get the B1342 code (ECU Internal Fault)
I was told the ABS module needs to be changed but the B1342 code could be other issues. I am guessing it's the ABS module but would like to hear from you guys that had this issue. Also, would you recommend to take it to the dealer or buy the part online? Where should I but the part from?
Thanks
I had that same code for over a year. It ended up being the ABS control module. I found a used one on line from a wrecked explorer
put it in and programed it using forscan.

I had that same code for over a year. It ended up being the ABS control module. I found a used one on line from a wrecked explorer
put it in and programed it using forscan.

Thanks for the update. Did you replace only the module? The pump should be good because the problem is with the module. I don't see why to replace the pump if that is good. Also, where can I get the forscan?

Thanks.

Thanks for the update. Did you replace only the module? The pump should be good because the problem is with the module. I don't see why to replace the pump if that is good. Also, where can I get the forscan?

Thanks.
When I bought my module from the wrecked car it came with the module and the pump so I just installed both. Go to forscan.org and download the program. The program is free and then you have to
buy the elm327 adapter. Do a search on here and you will see more information on the program.

When I bought my module from the wrecked car it came with the module and the pump so I just installed both. Go to forscan.org and download the program. The program is free and then you have to
buy the elm327 adapter. Do a search on here and you will see more information on the program.

Did you download the program to your computer?
I will also do a search here on information about the program.

Thanks

Did you download the program to your computer?
I will also do a search here on information about the program.

Thanks
Yes I downloaded it to my laptop and used the elm327 adapter and my laptop to read the old module and program the used module.

Also, can you provide me exactly which elm327 adapter to buy and cable? Really would appreciate it.

Back