Shackle Lift help? D/S bolts seized | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shackle Lift help? D/S bolts seized

stocked

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer AWD V8
I decided to lift the back of the mountie today with some longer shackles, well i got the passenger's side out and done with ease. Now on the the driver's side, the nuts came off fine, but then the bolts are seized to the sleeve in the rubber bushing. I'm going to soak them with PB Blaster today and over night multiple times and try again in the morning. But does anyone have some advice as to how to get it done? All i have is hand tools, no air tools available sadly.

You need to introduce some heat into the equation.

Go ahead and let it soak a bit. I would suggest you try hitting the head of the bolt inward a couple times then turning it (either direction) with a breaker bar. If it turns, it will come out.

Heating with a torch will also work, but the bushing may get melted/burned in the process.

Of course, you may just need a bigger hammer. 3lb sledge seems to take care of stuck bolts just fine for me. :)

Soak it with the PB blaster from the thread side and let it sit. Then heat it from the bolt head side- the penetrating oil will go toward the heat.

If that doesn't work. Order a new bushing and bolt. Get a sawzall and cut the bolt. A sawzall is a great tool have.

Back