Shackles/add A Leaf Help! Save Me Money! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shackles/add A Leaf Help! Save Me Money!

OGWhiteRob216

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I just bought some 31's and before I put on, i want to do the tt and rear end lift so I dont have to get 2 alignments. I got the tt figured out, but i'm no mechanic and i'm not finding much info on the shackles lift. What are the cheapest parts I can buy to do this? and is my only option this 2" max lift for rear??? please help, after this is done I just need a paint job and my truck is good to go.:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you want to save money get the shackles from autozone. they are 13 bucks for the pair hahahah. I run them and they are fine, just buy a few extra grade 8 bolts to put through a free hole (one thats doesn't restrict the shackles swing) or weld one there if you have the time and welder access. Get some nylock nuts to hold them on. I forgot to use nylocks or threadlocker, still haven't changed them :\ you will only get about 2 inches with the shackles but thats all you need bc thats all you can get in the front.

I'll get the cheap ones and have some one install for me, i'll also get a couple grade 8 bolts. One quick question and I can start asap, If I get the tt today and my 31's on, can i go get a alignment? or will i have to get another alignment after i change the shackles???
and is it safe to drive on highway for 30 miles back home before i get the alignment???

You dont need to get two alignments because shackles and bigger tires dont need an alignment -- you only need alignment when you do the TT. So it doesnt really matter what the order is. And the rear axle can not be 'aligned' -- its either straight or its bent (which would need to be replaced).

Thanks man, Im gonna go do the tt with my cousin, is it cool to drive 30 miles at 70 mph before i get a alignment after tt?

dude i still haven't gotten mine aligned and its been like 3 months. i prob only put 1500 miles on it though. the wear isn't noticeable yet, i dont care about my bald ass tires anyways. its nice knowing your gonna replace them soon.

Back