I Drive By Brail
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Bronco '80 Toy
How much higher is the rear? If more than an inch try removing the add-a-leaf and see where you sit. I have lifter several rangers (both 2 and 4wd) and in every one the truck sat level (using a 2.5" lift) withought installing the add-a-leaf or lift blocks provided in the kit. This is because the factory set-up makes the ranger sit nose heavy. If your Explores is only slightly taler in the rear the overload is a good place to start. Your lack of rear suspension is likely due to the high spring rate of the add-a-leaf.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply. First off...When I put in the front springs the front end was higher. I was told by SkyJacker that the rear would only go up 1/2" to equal the front. Now the back is about 1" higher than the front. If I remove the overload spring (is this the very last spring in the pack?)how will that effect my truck? It seems to be the same thickness as the add-a-leaf. What does the overload spring do? Is it there for extra heavy loads? Thanks.

Mike

I just installed a SkyJacker 2" lift to my 93 XLT 2WD. The lift looks good but I have some concerns I need help with.
1. I still have the problem of the rear being higher than the front.
2. It rides like there is NO suspension in the rear. I can jump up and down on the back bumper and it DOES NOT even bounce.

Are these common problems with this type of lift? If so what do I do to fix it? I looks great don't me wrong, but I have been on fork lifts that ride better. Please help. Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

Did you put the factory overload spring back in? If so, you may want to try to remove it. Also, if that is still too stiff, you may want to try removing a mid leaf.

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

Hey guys,
I also have the Skyjacker 2" and understand were you are coming from. The "harshness of the ride in the rear is normal with the Add a leaf. The only thing you can do is have a custom set of "long leafs" made. This will give a semi better ride. As for the overload spring it wont make a differance in hieght(because the axel is above the leafs) or the ride if you have the Add a leaf in.
The "add a leaf" is plenty stiff enough to compensate for the removal of the overload spring..
Also you may want to add a .5"coil spacer in the front to level out.
Good luck...see ya
Jim M.

I have a 3" Add-A-Leaf on my '93 so I know what you are describing. I removed the overload from my spring pack and that helped the ride ALOT! Another thing you may want to try is getting a new 2" add a leaf and make sure you get the "long leaf". I used that in my brother-in-laws Ranger and it made almost no difference in ride. Then like gtmazz said, use a .5" spacer in the front to make up for the shorter front end. Good luck!

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT
Many Mod's
To see some pics and to get a full list
of mods I have made to my explorer check out:
http://members.efortress.com/swankmi/

Hey guys, I need someones help with my rear leaf springs. I've got a '99 EB 4x4 and I have a huge sub box in the back (4 Kicker Comp. 12's). The back end really drags ass. It bottoms out all the time and the ride sucks ass. Please give me some suggestions to fix this problem. Thanks guys!

------------------

Back