Shackles or Blocking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shackles or Blocking

Jordan714

Reaction score
Which do you suggest for lifting the rear of my 1998 XLT 2wd? The new Warrior Shackles from Desert Rat or Blocking the rear with 2inch blocks under the leaf springs?

They both do the same job I believe and will give me about the same amount of lift.

Thanks for the help,

Jordan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Jordan,
You can't block the rear, because the leaf springs are under the axle. Putting a block inbetween the leaf springs and the axle will lower you truck not raise it up. Sorry Dead Link Removed
The only other 2 ways to do it are add-a-leaf or the extended shackles. I went for the shackles myself, because it won't change the ride. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Jordon, I agree with Ray, go with the shackles. I just put mine in and the ride is the same as before, but looks a whole lot better. Besides, its easier!

Rob
96 Sport(Barney)

Since your rig is relatively new, the shackle route would be the best way to go. If it were much older, say a couple of years with some good trail hours behind it, I would then go with the add a leaf route since springs would be sagging somewhat a this point. Besides, shackles are a quick and dirty install and can be used in conjunction with an add a leaf lift or new spring replacement lift in the future to add additional lift.

Ivan

I ordered them last friday and they should be arriving today! I tried to get them for Saturday delivery but they couldnt get them here until today. I drive a 1998 XLT and they work for mine so they will work for you too. I will post how the install goes.

Jordan

Hi Mikersoft,
I added the shackles to my 97XLT over the weekend and also did the "Torsion Bar Twist" to give me an inch more lift. the shackles will fit on any model Explorer.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 09-07-1999).]

Ray,

Just out of curiosity, how's the ride and handling after the change? I have a Sport, and I really do like it's road manners. I don't know much about it's off road behavior yet, but I will. I think the late model Sports were built more for on road handling anyway. Just curious as to how the extra height affected cornering, mainly.

I realize that any vehicle of any type is something of a compromise. You certainly won't get indy-car handling out of a rock crawler, but you won't see an indy-car crawling on rocks either. I'm just looking for the right balance for my type of driving.

------------------
Tom

Tom,
It is a better ride than before. It is more firm, but not rough. I like it much better. I know I'm going to need new shocks soon, but I'm waiting for Trailmaster to come out with their new lift, before I buy the Edlebrocks. Doing the "Torsion Bar Twist" definitely got rid of some of the sloppyness. It was a nice after effect. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

I just want to be sure of one thing. The Warrior shakles (from Desert Rat) will work on late model Explorers? It seems that most of the aftermarket suspension parts are made for the older models. I have a '97 Sport 4X4, and I'd like to get an inch or so of lift out of it without spending too much. Thanks....

Thanks Ray...

I guess I'll call Desert Rat & see if they have currently have any of the shakles left.

-Mike

Back