• Register Today It's free!

Shackles or blocks?

RayLCC

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT AWD 5.0
I thought I had my Explorer all planned out but I'm wondering about the best (read, cheapest and still safe) way to lift the back end. I'm going to do a "TT lift" on the front for about two inches of lift and was planning on using lift shackles in the rear, probably WAR153's. The problem is, I've never liked the looks of a vehicle with lift shackles and I'd like to lift the rear up 2 1/2 inches to level the truck out appearance-wise. Most shackles I found only lift 2 inches. It seems most Explorer owners use shackles with an add-a-leaf to get the extra half inch lift, but it stiffens the ride. So I stumbled across an article for lift blocks and they seem to solve all the problems with appearance and ride quality. So I thought I'd ask everyone here what they thought was best. The blocks would be 2 1/2 to 3 inch and I plan on a 3 inch body lift as well with 33" tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers come stock with Spring Under Axle, which means you can't do blocks. They will lower the truck. You can do shackles or AAL's.

ok, so that was dumb question. I should have known it wouldn't work when nobody did it. of course actually looking under the truck would have helped. :) so, how much lift would an SOA give me?

About 5 or 6". So if you don't plan on an aftermarket lift for the front (which costs about $1500), then you definitely don't want to do that.

and if your willing to spend that much on the lift you minus well just do a sas up front

Back