• Register Today It's free!

Shackles vs. Add a leaf

99ExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
99 AWD EXPL XLT V8.... Today or tommorrow i plan on doing the AAL or Shackles plus the TT. Should i do both? If you had to choose, which would you pick....AAL or Shackles? After lifting rear how do i measure to see if the front and rear are the same height? I'm already starting with rear sag and am not sure i would even have to do a TT.....Thanks, Frank from Long Island

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on what you want, the shackles will give you lift, but will stick down farther affecting rear departure angle, but this probably the quickest, easiest way to get about an inch and a half of lift. Add a leaf has different options, you can go from about and inch plus to two full inches depending on the leaf you buy. They also make a double kit. I went with the pro-comp one for about thirty dollars, not quite two inches but enough for me. The down side to the add a leaf is it will stiffen up the spring a little, but you retain the departure angle, and for me that was more important.
Measuring can be down below the doors, at the bottom of the body, I don't think the tops of wheel wells are level, not on a first generation, the seconds I am not a 100% sure of. Both meathods will work, the add a leaf takes more time to install, and I think in the long run better, you can also do both for added height, and really crank that front end up!:D

i had the shackles for about 2 years now and it is starting to sag. how much is the add a leaf? the shakles ran for 60 bucks when i got it. is it easy to install? what is the order number? i rear bottoms out too often now.

You can use the pro-comp, runs around 34.00's shipped. You have to take the springs out to install, just time consuming. With warrior shackles, and add a leaf I got right about three inches.

I have both the add-a-leaf and the shackles on mine. I ran the shackles by them selves for close to two years. They raised the rear about 1.5" and helped with the bouce in the rear alittle too. They got the h*ll beat out of them off-road and I have no sagging at all.
I added the add-a-leafs when I started towing with my X and I got about .5" out of them and they did stiffen up the ride quite a bit.
IMO, you should go with the shackles.

Look into the OME (old man emu) springs. They're well worth it. Great ride +2". I've had'em on for 2 years and love em. Now only a body lift and I'll get those 33"s. ARB is the american importer for old man emu stuff. OME is a big jeep and land rover suspension company. Good stuff as far as I'm concerned.

how much are the OME add a leaf? 34 bucks from procomp sounds like a good deal

ome makes an entire spring. I think it's 4 or 5 leaves, more arch for more lift. 34 bucks is great, but you're still keeping the stock, sagging springs. Just addig a leaf that will add a bit to an already shot spring would just bring it up to stock height. The OME springs ain't cheap. I can't even remember right now. I wanna say it was $400 for the pair, but I got the 4 matching shocks that they make. I'll try and get the total up here. but, no, it is not CLOSE to the price of an add-a-leaf. Good luck...

hey on summit do I need do get the short add-a leafs for $26.95. Explorers have short leafs, correct me if I am wrong. Thanks Matt

anyone know what part number that is the correct add-a-leaf I should get on summit. Please help, Thanks Matt

The Pro comp add a leaf is part # 13120

Summit had the best price on them when I ordered them last week.

Thanks guys

Back