Shackles vs springs for 2" on the rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shackles vs springs for 2" on the rear

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
So I've decided I'm going with the Skyjacker front 2" springs unless someone knows of some better, equivalent priced ones?

The back is where I'm still debating. Should I get the War shackles and do a add a leaf or get 2" leaf spring packs? Something from these guys I was thinking unless there are some better ones?

http://www.customsuspension.com/store/

What would be the pros and cons of springs vs shackles and add a leaf?

Will a alignment shop be able to align it with parts on hand or will I need some parts for them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your link doesn't bring anything up and I don't see anything listed for the Explorer on that site. What's the price on the Skyjacker springs now? I ran daystar spacers for a long time, then 2" lift springs (don't know the manufacturer). I had a Pro-comp add a leaf and Warrior shackles in the back. That combination worked pretty well.

They have explorer ones in all sizes of lift for the rear.. I can't link specifically to them though. Skyjacker front springs are about $150 from summit I think.

Says they are still building their store.. Sounds kinda sketchy.

went with the $30 Procomp AAL and got some used $30 WAR153 shackles from a member on the forum............. cheaper than rear lift springs.

Was wondering what would perform better? Not even sure 2" rear springs are really available.

as far as articulation just the shackles are great......... my rear end still is lower with just shackles, that's the reason for AAL ( get rid of the sag ). I believe they have an OME rear spring? But for price couldn't go wrong with my setup. Search allover the forum, plenty of pros and cons for either :)

I searched like crazy, can't find anything on 2" leafs. If I could find some cheap shackles I'd jump on em. Seems like they run about 70-75 shipped.

If you're interested, I have the 2" lift springs and the Warrior shackles that were on my '92 in the pictures below. I could let them go. I just sold my stock truck so I guess I don't need to keep them around.

You'd have to order the AAL because mine is still in the spring pack on the truck with the SOA.

This is the 2" lift with 3" body lift and 33's.

picture.php

picture.php

jump on that offer...................... :D

I PM'd him! Course if he sells em then he'll get another X and wish he had them : )

he's got his toy................. course never hurts to have two ;)

Reply sent. And I do have two toys...

I know I could be burned at the stake for this on this site...but I bought a Samurai :)

:p: trying to find a Samurai on the cheap for my stepdaughter, been unable to find a "NONTOYED" thus far. People turn them into little monsters.....................

Go for a Bronco II! Sammies are way over priced.

have to look into that, she wants a small SUV, nothing four door :) doesn't want to have her friends "MOOCHING" rides off her

I wasn't going to continue hijacking your thread...but since you brought it up.

I considered a Bronco II and swapping in my stock Explorer drivetrain, but then I found this 'Little Monster' and couldn't resist.

picture.php

Its got Dana 44's with 5.89 gears and spools, with 35's, and a completely stock body and drivetrain. The best thing is it weighs less than half what the explorer does :).

OMG! That's insane! Looks like it's in awesome shape also. What size lawnmower engine does it have? LOL!

gonna have plenty of fun with that :D

There's not a scratch or dent on it except where those tires got into the rear inner fender. Its got the stock 1300cc, 65 horse power engine...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back