Shakes Intermittently between 65mph and 80 mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shakes Intermittently between 65mph and 80 mph

When cruising down the highway at speeds between 65mph and 80mph I get an intermittent shake. The shake can be felt in the seat and the steering wheel. It will shake on and off when with the cruise control on running at a constant speed down a flat smooth straight stretch of highway. It seems more pronounced on fresh asphalt. My girlfriends Civic rides smooth as glass down the same stretch of highway in the same lane. I can hit speeds of 95 mph and the shake is still there but never gets any worse than it was at 70 mph.

The tires have been balanced a few times. This has helped a little, but not a lot. I am running Uniroyal® Laredo® with NailGard® Tires. I have heard that maybe the sealer inside the tire is shifting around causing a balance issue.

Anyone have an idea of what I should look at next. I was thinking about having the drive shaft's checked for proper balance. Or maybe getting rid of the Laredos and putting a softer car like tire on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres a way to check the driveshaft by going the same rpm but in a different gear aand see if its still there. but i dont think that will work for you since it such a wide range (65 to 80). you could check your wheel bearings. it could be anything from shocks to a worn u joint. i think the most common would be wheels out of balance or a bearing worn or loose. good luck

i just took mine in for pretty much the same problem. they found loose wheel bearings and also said my tires were out of balance because they were static balanced. wieghts only on the inside. so now im gonna have weights on the outside of my brand new wheels. this sucks.

ditch the weights, use Equal........

its a powder, goes inside the tire itself, balances automatically.

I was skeptical too but guess what it works!

I have equal in my 33's and it works at all speeds, balanced all the time no matter what, even if I get mud in there.......

WEIGHTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where can one find this equal Mr. 410.

I could tell you if you were in Denver, otherwise the phone book.......call tire shops around town.......

People who dont use it hate it, people who have used it love it. I was VERY skeptical, especially with 33" mudders m but it works great!!

Back