Shaky 94 Exploder at 59 / Possible Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shaky 94 Exploder at 59 / Possible Fix

Redwinggirl99

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
Ok folks, I told you all I would tell you all about what the brains of my local Ford dealership would come up with concerning my vibration.

They will be replacing my shocks. They say they are shot and this is preventing my tires from griping the road. They also told me that my front and rear tires are out of round on the drivers side. They are going to have someone with a machine shave some rubber and correct this.

I also have loose bearings. Not too significant. 2% left on breaks which only have 10k miles on them. (Another previous dealer fix).

They will fix my bearings when they do my brakes.

This, they are convinced will fix my problem.

One thing. When I talk about vibration. I don't mean like a consistant rythmic vibration. I mean like it varies at the same speed in severity.

This the "master mechanic" thinks is my tires loosing contact with the road. You know, hit a little blemish in the road and this just causes more of a vibration. I just can't believe it could be that sensitive.

My question to him was. "From the Shocks only?" =|

I have already changed the Radius Arm Bushing.

According to the latest look at's Ford, they suggest AKA Sway Bar. Mine passes at it doesn't need it.

They looked at the mounts. Ok
They looked at the transfer case. ok
They looked at the transmission. ok
They looked at the Rims. ok

So, after I spend another $160 for Shocks, $390 for Bearings-Brakes on top of my $350 for RA Bushing. Get my tires "rounded". I will tell you all if it works. Tuesday I should probably get it back.

No doubt I sound skeptical...

Skeptical at best... I've tried all of these ideas already.
Getting the tires "rounded" sounds like a good suggestion.

I am just getting prepared to make a lot of noise regarding this problem. A lot of Explorer owners are spending a lot of money to cover over an engineering defect. In 1996 Ford issued a sercive Bulletin 95-21-8 describing the problem we are all experiencing. The fix involves replacement of all engine mounts with new design and a rear axle to frame lateral shock absorber kit. I took mine to the dealer along with a copy of this bulletin and they said it was expensive and they wouldn't repair it under any warranty. I understand there is a hidden warranty and I think if enough noise is made to the right people we can at the very least get this repaired. It seems very interesting that the Firestone tires lose their tread at the same speeds we experience the shake. I replaced tires and installed IAS shocks and still shakes. I had all front end inspected and all brakes done. The balance was done on the latest equipment which loads the tire to account for any manufacturing fluctuations. Still shakes. Anybody want to join in a letter writing campaign?

Back