Shall We Start Planning a Cape Cod Run? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shall We Start Planning a Cape Cod Run?

Fordexplorer157 said:
Worse comes to worse I am staying in a hotel
:nono:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been looking at the camp sites more closey. SOme only allow 1 Vehicle and the other ones are raping you for additonal vehicles.

DeRocha said:
If they didn't every 2WD owner would be demanding identical beach access... I for one don't want to get stuck behind some Taurus owner. :D :roll:

far from a taurus...

Attachments

• DSC00069a.JPG
    DSC00069a.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 143

izackary said:
OK, homies. First off, my apologies for not being on here as often as I ought to be. I have and continue to be very busy with work and work-/living-related decisions and dilemmas. So I may or may not be on more soon, but I can't say as of yet.

David: Trust me when I say that even if your 2wd is locked, there are steep tall dunes that would be extremely difficult for you to climb up without low-range. I have a L/S and only had a shot in low. High range was hopeless. As John pointed out, no one wants to be stuck behind someone who can't make it even if it's simply not your day. The CRV made it over the dunes and if he did, your stock 4x4 definately can. Matt's did fine just on his Michelin all-seasons, and he has the sissy pushrod 4.slOw. You'll have plenty of fun in that, trust me. :D

Dan, good find on the campsites. I suggest everyone looks at each to weigh how well they suit your own needs and we'll decide on one. I'm sure we can share tents; Dan has a nice one he could share with Matt...I have an ample-sized one that I'm told will fit 4, so when we narrow down how few tents we can get away with, we can make a decision and a reservation. Worst case scenario, we all have folding rear seats, right? :p

i have been rejected by some people arond here also cause i am just 2wd. had a day all planned and that morning i was told to not even bother coming with the other dozen trucks.
i have not done much in my truck because i do not want to go alone,as no one would want to get stuck alone whether 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.
I am sure all can understand what i mean by that as we have all been stuck at one time.But i do not want to do anything in a stock 2002 as i am sure the lifted explorer would preform much better whether at the beach or on some trails.

I'd like to see what it can do, myself. But unfortunately there's no choice. If it were up to me, I'd say bring it in a heartbeat, but I don't make the rules. I remember that other occasion, and let me tell you, I've seen some of the other club's rigs and they're rockin hardcore trucks that are suited much more towards wheeling toy than a daily driver combo. They're all 4x4, most locked and with at least 33" tires. One dude's gotta hummer H1.

Back on topic... Lodging!

I would love to get a campsite. Don't care where, and even if we have to pay for extra people/vehicles/etc, it will still be cheaper than hotels - and way more fun.

Is there anyone who does not want to go camping? Matt would like us all to lodge together.

And if not all of us can fit in one tent then we can sleep in our explorers. I am willing to sleep in my rig. I dont care. We all can try to cram as many people as we can in one site, and take it from there. I've always wanted to atempt to sleep in my rig since the seats fold down. If we dont get too many responses soon they will be on there own for loadgeing. Unless somone has a friend in the area where we can camp at.

V8BoatBuilder said:

I would love to get a campsite. Don't care where, and even if we have to pay for extra people/vehicles/etc, it will still be cheaper than hotels - and way more fun.

Is there anyone who does not want to go camping? Matt would like us all to lodge together.

V8BoatBuilder said:

I totally agree Aaron, and like Matt said we can always sleep in the back of our rigs

Now the second thing, I'm going to be leaving the morning of the 18 for the Cape from Colchester, Vermont after spending a week there. I need directions from there to the Cape as I am lousy with maps.....I'm one of those who needs a turn by turn layout and I'll have no computer access the week I'm in Vermont.........Matt, can you help me with this?

Sandy if your gonna be in Colchester VT. Just follow myself and Dan down. Dan and I still need to figure out what time we are leaveing. Sandy will you be staying at the Campsite? Iam just trying to figure out how many sites we need to reserve so they can all be next to eachother. We need to get going on it.

SoBeLover said:

I totally agree Aaron, and like Matt said we can always sleep in the back of our rigs

Now the second thing, I'm going to be leaving the morning of the 18 for the Cape from Colchester, Vermont after spending a week there. I need directions from there to the Cape as I am lousy with maps.....I'm one of those who needs a turn by turn layout and I'll have no computer access the week I'm in Vermont.........Matt, can you help me with this?

Fordexplorer157 said:
Sandy if your gonna be in Colchester VT. Just follow myself and Dan down. Dan and I still need to figure out what time we are leaveing.
Well, when you know, let me know, I'll be staying at the Motel 6 while I'm there and I'll give you a ring when I get settled into my room. Your cell number is still the same isn't it?

Fordexplorer157 said:
Sandy will you be staying at the Campsite? Iam just trying to figure out how many sites we need to reserve so they can all be next to each other. We need to get going on it.

Yes, I'm going to be staying at the campsite, I'm looking forward to having some fun, and my 13 year old will be with me too and she's psyched about it. She's also taking my pics for me, she wants to be a professional photographer

I drive reall aggressive once we get into the 5 lanes of traffic. SO if we lose u I am gonna get u directions. Cell is the same. I dont if we are leaving on the 18th is not final. We migth leave earlier

SoBeLover said:

Well, when you know, let me know, I'll be staying at the Motel 6 while I'm there and I'll give you a ring when I get settled into my room. Your cell number is still the same isn't it?

Yes, I'm going to be staying at the campsite, I'm looking forward to having some fun, and my 13 year old will be with me too and she's psyched about it

davidmmm69 said:
far from a taurus...
I realize your truck (with a locker) is very capable and far from a Taurus. My point was that if they allowed your 2wd vehicle on the sand they would have to allow all 2wd vehicles. Therefore getting stuck behind a Taurus, Accord, or Camry would be a real concern.
Having said that I not sure If you could pass off your truck as 4wd. When you go to the Ranger station you watch a 15 min video and then your truck gets inspected by a ranger (they mostly seam to be concerned with you having the required equipment see below). The ranger inspecting my truck didn't look into the cab.

Shovel: Heavy duty equal or better than Military folding shovel
Towing Device: Minimum 14' long Either:
  • Strap: 1.5" width
  • Rope: 3/4" diameter
  • Chain: 5/16" diameter
  • Cable: 1/4" diameter

Jack: Standard jack (Even though Aaron had a High-Lift jack they still wanted to see his standard jack).
Jack support: Wood: 10x12x1/2" or Plywood 10x12x3/4"
Tire pressure gauge: Must register to 5 psi or lower
Spare Tire: Must meet regular tire standards
Tires: All 5 tires must meet or exceed standards. Ex: P235/65 R15 or P225/70 R15

The August schedual came in and I may have to work. Christ, this is three years in a row! I'll keep you posted.

DeRocha said:
When you go to the Ranger station you watch a 15 min video and then your truck gets inspected by a ranger (they mostly seam to be concerned with you having the required equipment see below). The ranger inspecting my truck didn't look into the cab.

Shovel: Heavy duty equal or better than Military folding shovel
Towing Device: Minimum 14' long Either:
  • Strap: 1.5" width
  • Rope: 3/4" diameter
  • Chain: 5/16" diameter
  • Cable: 1/4" diameter

Jack: Standard jack (Even though Aaron had a High-Lift jack they still wanted to see his standard jack).
Jack support: Wood: 10x12x1/2" or Plywood 10x12x3/4"
Tire pressure gauge: Must register to 5 psi or lower
Spare Tire: Must meet regular tire standards
Tires: All 5 tires must meet or exceed standards. Ex: P235/65 R15 or P225/70 R15

Half of this equipment, I don't even have, As it is my spare is a different size than the rest of my tires, they are 255/70R16 while my spare is 235/75R15, so I'm going to this place that sells used wheels & tires and I can get a matching spare for about $60

As far as a jack, I have to get the part that takes the lug nuts off from my nephew, since he borrowed it when trying to fix his brakes, I will probably bring my brother's 2 1/2 ton floor jack too....if he lets me

Need to find a piece of wood that size, have alot of wood at my job, have to see if I can get some.

Pressure gauge, my bro has a battery operated one, going to ask if I can borrow it

Tow strap and shovel, I don't have these and if someone has an extra they would be willing to lend me I'd much appreciate it

Now if no one has a strap or shovel they can lend me, how much money am I looking to outlay here and where would I find it

Now as far as the CB radio, I'm looking at one on Ebay for $23.95 http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Compa...0QQihZ005QQcategoryZ40055QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, the thing is I have no idea how to install this kind of stuff. If someone that is going is willing to install it for me, let me know so I can finalize the transaction

I am really looking forward to this trip

I'm the 1,001th view!

Sandy: The route down is very simple. Take I-89 south the entire length down into NH until it ends (approx. 150 miles). Look for the signs to take the last exit (I believe it's after "Exit 1") onto I-93 south once you're near Concord, NH. Take I-93 south into Mass, through Boston. (Once you get into the tunnels stay towards the left as many lanes appear then exit entirely.) Once you're out of Boston, you want exit, on the LEFT, towards Cape Cod via Route 3. Follow that wayyy down past Plymouth, and it'll eventually come to a rotary and a large bridge called the Sagamore Bridge. Take the 2nd exit off the rotary onto the bridge and you'll be on Route 6, which goes allll the way down the entire length of Cape Cod into Provincetown. Once you get into Provincetown, (you can't miss the "Now Entering PROVINCETOWN" sign) take a right onto Race Point Road, towards the airport. Go past the airport, and you'll soon see a sign for the ranger station. Follow that and you'll be golden. Don't forget to have everything in that list John quoted, especially the 5+ psi tire pressure gauge! Also, keep in mind that cell reception is less than stellar down there. Try and make sure Matt or someone is there at the ranger station when you're done with the video and we'll all get together.

Sandy,

That CB radio is a nice unit, but you will also need an antenna, and a cigarette lighter adapter for the power cord. If you get all these things, I'd be happy to rig them up on your truck. However, I would suggest getting a handheld all-in-one unit, that's basically a walkie-talkie. You won't need anything except AA batteries or a car-charging plug.

I'm sure your spare is fine. The rangers don't want thin donuts, but a 235/75R15 is a stock size tire for most explorers, and a very similar overall size to your 16s.

I just talked to Mike (rfuree) and he's interested in driving down, too. I haven't gotten to hang out with him since he turned 21, so there will likely be ample consumption of beer between him and I and whoever, in appropriate locations, of course. (ie: NOT on the beach where open container and OUI laws still apply!) If my buddy from Bourne would like to come chill for a day or 2, there will probably be double. :p

Oh, and Matt: I forget which Nextel you have now; let me know if it has the DirectTalk off-air 2-way. I think Mike's i850 does, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh cool, I hope he gets to come, his plans to hook up with us these past two years have fallen though due to his boss

Aaron, I took your advice and looked on Ebay for a portable unit, and I was successful in bidding on this http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-TRC...emZ110009947663QQcategoryZ40057QQcmdZViewItem

Now tomorrow I'll look at WalMart for the tow strap and shovel, they have a camping and automotive section, so I should find something

Back