Shall We Start Planning a Cape Cod Run? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shall We Start Planning a Cape Cod Run?

Like any day at the beach bring munchies and a cooler with lots of ice and drinks too last the trip (better to pack too many drinks than too few).
Tip: Block ice last longer then cubes so I fill a few empty 2 liter soda bottles with water (leaving 25% room for expansion) and freeze. It'll last days longer than cubes plus its free!

Also once everyone has aired down to 12psi (or so) then driving on-road will be horrible (as in 20mph or less). So you don't want to be running back into town as airing back up can take a while depending on the line waiting for the compressor station... It took me almost 15minutes just to air down and about the same to air up and get ready to hit pavement (my tires hold lots of air, so I'd guess an average of 10 minutes for stock tires). With only 2 air chucks at the compressor station we could be waiting a while :(

I wouldn't spend alot of $ on equipment as we will have way overkill between us.
Sandy: - You only need the stock vehicle jack (nothing fancy like a floor jack or Aaron's High lift). I have a few extra 3' std shovels and lots of 3/4" plywood and can cut up a bunch in case anyone needs some.

I can understand the need to have the required equipment, but I don't understand the need for every vehicle (in a group) to have the same. As such to save people from having to buy redundant equipment I was thinking maybe we could send 1/2 the group up to the Ranger station to get inspected and watch the video while the other half waits at the compressor station. When the 1st group has passed inspection they come to the compressor station and give the equipment to the other group (just a thought)...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does not have direct talk. If you got these guys coming we really need to get hoping on campsites. We might have a big crew this year. Dan is bringin his cousin. John... Havent heard much about you camping.

izackary said:
I just talked to Mike (rfuree) and he's interested in driving down, too. I haven't gotten to hang out with him since he turned 21, so there will likely be ample consumption of beer between him and I and whoever, in appropriate locations, of course. (ie: NOT on the beach where open container and OUI laws still apply!) If my buddy from Bourne would like to come chill for a day or 2, there will probably be double. :p

Oh, and Matt: I forget which Nextel you have now; let me know if it has the DirectTalk off-air 2-way. I think Mike's i850 does, right?

DeRocha said:
I wouldn't spend alot of $ on equipment as we will have way overkill between us.
Sandy: - You only need the stock vehicle jack (nothing fancy like a floor jack or Aaron's High lift). I have a few extra 3' std shovels and lots of 3/4" plywood and can cut up a bunch in case anyone needs some.

I can understand the need to have the required equipment, but I don't understand the need for every vehicle (in a group) to have the same. As such to save people from having to buy redundant equipment I was thinking maybe we could send 1/2 the group up to the Ranger station to get inspected and watch the video while the other half waits at the compressor station. When the 1st group has passed inspection they come to the compressor station and give the equipment to the other group (just a thought)...

I do like your way of thinking John :D

Sandy, I have an air pressure gauge I can lend you.

izackary said:
Sandy, I have an air pressure gauge I can lend you.

Thanks Ike, you are a sweetie

a cape cod beach run is not going to happen, there are only 2 beaches on the cape you may bring you're cars out on. sandy neck in sandwich and nauset outer beach in orleans. nothe beaches u need stickers for in advance from the towns town hal and they cost about 150 bucks. if you guys are still planning a run, i can help you out wit the trails and such that are pretty decent. but theres no way you can just pack up all your stuff and go out on the beach like its nothing, its av ery long process to pbtain access to the beaches.

I dont know where you get your info from.... We did this last year and you can buy the tickets inperson and not in adavance. Here is the link, You should of read this thread more closely. We are going to Race Point

http://www.nps.gov/caco/activities/oversand/index.html

merrick53 said:
a cape cod beach run is not going to happen, there are only 2 beaches on the cape you may bring you're cars out on. sandy neck in sandwich and nauset outer beach in orleans. nothe beaches u need stickers for in advance from the towns town hal and they cost about 150 bucks. if you guys are still planning a run, i can help you out wit the trails and such that are pretty decent. but theres no way you can just pack up all your stuff and go out on the beach like its nothing, its av ery long process to pbtain access to the beaches.

merrick53 said:
a cape cod beach run is not going to happen... its av ery long process to pbtain access to the beaches.

Thank you for your insight. :rolleyes: However, you have little information about the National Park Service's Race Point beach in P-town, have read less of our thread, and have even less tact at posting to a thread of good-natured offroaders.

We welcome your advice on other LEGAL places to go off-road on the Cape (we don't want to hear about powerlines), and you are also welcome to join us on our beach run. Please leave negative attitudes at home, and off the forum.

V8BoatBuilder said:
Thank you for your insight. :rolleyes: However, you have little information about the National Park Service's Race Point beach in P-town, have read less of our thread, and have even less tact at posting to a thread of good-natured offroaders.

We welcome your advice on other LEGAL places to go off-road on the Cape (we don't want to hear about powerlines), and you are also welcome to join us on our beach run. Please leave negative attitudes at home, and off the forum.
Word. :cool:

V8BoatBuilder said:

You tell him Aaron!! :thumbsup:

So has anyone decided on where we are going to camp yet? I told Matt that what was decided would be alright with me. I just need to know what is going down before I leave for Vermont on the 11th

pesonally i think race point is terrible, sandy neck and the outer nauset beach are much better, but yes on race point you can buy the tickets in advance but for sandy neck and nauset you need to go through all that jazz and its a pain in the ass

Time's running out!!

I'm getting very frustrated here. :eek: With the Cape trip rapidly coming up and no one is deciding on where we are going to stay, it's going to mess with my vacation plans.

I can't reserve a campground for us because 1. I don't know many people are definitely coming. and 2. I don't have a credit card to reserve online.

So guys, it's time to get going and make some decisions on where we are going to stay.

If I don't hear anything by next Wednesday, when I reserve my hotel room in Vermont, I'm going to extend my stay in Vermont instead of speculating whether or not the Cape trip is going to happen and have to go home 3 days early and an spend the last three days of my vacation at home

I hope I'm not sounding harsh here, but I planned everything right down to taking off the time I needed for a ten-day vacation and I want to get together with all of you, but if things don't start happening soon, I'm sorry, but I won't be there

merrick53 said:
pesonally i think race point is terrible, sandy neck and the outer nauset beach are much better, but yes on race point you can buy the tickets in advance but for sandy neck and nauset you need to go through all that jazz and its a pain in the ass
Well there ya go...if they're that difficult to gain access to, I'm sure they're a little better cuz who's gonna go thru all that nonsense when they can get to race point for $40 and watching a 15-minute video?

merrick53 said:

I respectfuly disagree. Race Point, when its all open, is a better beach by far. The only reason it is 'terrible' right now is because the damn birds have closed most of the beach. (DAMN birds!) I have been going to Race Point for the last 10 years. The reason I have been going there for that long is because I feel that it it the best ORV beach on the cape. It has the best views, the access is easy (with a few exceptions), the price is right and it has the best surf fishing anywhere in the Commonwealth. There are days that while on Race Point South we have not seen another person all day. How awesome is that!

I have been to Sandy Neck and have found it to be too much of a 'Party Beach'. Not to mention that it can get very rockey and thats no fun when running after a fishing pole bent over with a 20 pound fish on the other end. Nauset is nice too but as I have been told they limit the number of vehicles on the beach. Who wants to drive all that way only to be told "sorry beach is full".

It seems, as indicated by some of your previous posts, that you may be unfamiliar with the beaches on the cape. It is easy to get access to all the beaches on the cape. CCNS being the most difficult and that is not very hard at all. Just show up with the proper equipment, pay the fee and watch a short movie which is not 15 min. While you watch the movie the ranger inspects you vehicle and puts the sticker on and off you go. (after airing down to 11 psi first) My brother in law has been getting his Sandy Neck pass by mail since I have known him. Thats not hard. I am not sure how Nauset issues their passes. I think you go to town hall. That does not seem hard eather. (Nauset just reopened today BTW)

Just my 2 cents...

Jeffrey

yeah sandy neck is deffinelty a party beach and nauset does get very crowded and btw im not unfamiliar with the beaches i live on the cape lol maybes it just cuz last time i went to race point it was a drag but who knows, i get sick of the beach cuz ive lived here my whole life. but anyways, can anyone update me on wen you guys plan on going out there? id love to go and do we have a meeting place? also, what kind of equiptment do we need? i think i have everything besides and air guage which i can easily go buy but just gimme a heads up :thumbsup:

Well I'm not ashamed to say you guys know more about the beaches than me. I've only been there that once back a year ago. This fall my truck was out of comission most of the spring so I didn't get my season pass, and now I'm glad I didn't waste my money!

Hey guys, I hate to do this because I had so much fun last year, but I think I'm going to have to back out of the run. There is a very good chance I'll be starting my new full-time job in outside Manhattan as early as the 21st.

I'm going to try and make it, but don't wait on me for your lodging reservations.

-Aaron

No assless chaps for you

V8BoatBuilder said:
Hey guys, I hate to do this because I had so much fun last year, but I think I'm going to have to back out of the run. There is a very good chance I'll be starting my new full-time job in outside Manhattan as early as the 21st.

I'm going to try and make it, but don't wait on me for your lodging reservations.

-Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am still planning on going, but a couple of things...
1) I have a memorial service (for my dad) to attend to on Saturday 8/19. So I'm not exactly sure when I would be getting down..
2) I will most likely be staying at my mom's (she lives in Centerville) so its relatively close to where we are going...

Back