• Register Today It's free!

Sheared pinion bolt

malohnes

Reaction score
City, State
SE Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl m5 4x4
So, I'm trying to pull axles to replace seals and bearings and a disc brake swap and much to my surprise, the pinion shaft bolt is sheared. Not sure how many threads are still on the shaft stuck inside, but my issue now is how do I get the bugger out.

It did not appear to shear when I was breaking it loose as it never gave way like bolts do when they break, so my inclination is that it might have been broken before by previous owner. Anyways...

Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do? What are my options as I don't see how to get a bolt extractor inside and I really aint fond of any metal floating around in the diff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I found mine broken, I found this link informative http://www.skywaytools.com/differentialrepair.html

I did not buy their specific kit, but merely found the individual pieces (drill bit, screw extractors, etc.) at tool/part stores. Mine came out real easy with the screw extractor. I know some have not had as good of success, but I feel like it is a worthwhile first try.

Thanks, that was helpful. I decided to get the kit as my local hardware store sucks for such things.

What did you do about metal shavings?

I'm glad to know it seems to be a common problem. Another issue is another pinion lock bolt. What did you use?

In my case, the only shavings were from making the pilot hole for the screw extractor, I merely wiped them up.

I came across this while rebuilding the trac-lock, and the trac-lock rebuild kit I bought had a replacement lock bolt included. You should be able to buy a replacement lock bolt from a good parts store or the dealership. I've seen some repair manuals even recommend replacing this bolt every time it comes out, so they should not be too difficult to come by.

I was able to get the bolt at a neighboring town Napa and flown in for not a lot of coin. So I'm back in business there.

The Skyways tool kit looks to be helpful an the price is reasonable given what my local hardware store charges for basic tools and bits...extortion!

I'll comment on my experience using it when I get it. I figure a high powered block magnet should be helpful with any bits and shavings of metal in the drilling part. I sure wish I could afford the Aussie and gears right now with the rear end open, but that will have to wait for another time...just as well I suppose!

Thanks again for the help.

The bolts are a stock Dorman part, I'll edit the number in later. The Skyway tools kit was very nice, reasonable priced and worked great. Back in business!

Thanks for your help Mr Shorty!

Glad it all worked out.

Back