Shock Opinions?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I currently have KYB MonoMax shocks at all four corners of my Explorer sport. They are about two years old and ride pretty harsh. They are also prone to getting air in them after they have been on a lift, this causes a very scary feeling of the shocks bouncing uncontrollably at highway speeds until the air bubbles disapate.

I also read on some other sites that a number of people do not like KYB shocks. I know the shock of choice on this site seems to be Bilstein and I am sure they are awesome, but probably a bit to much for someone who wants strictly a road shock.

I do not want to make the same mistake again, as I did with the Monomax because I do very little offroading but do want a shock that helps my truck handle better.

I have heard the Monroe shocks are ok but was looking for something of a little better quality.

I have been looking at the Rancho line and am wondering if anyone has any opinion on them?

I would love suggestions on a good road shock that will help my Sport in the corners.

Thanks very much for any help :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been running Rancho 9000x shocks for quite some time. They are the best shock I have ever used. The adjust ability makes them almost perfect for any usage.

How do you get air in the shocks from being on a lift?

I've had Bilsteins on for 4 years, and they ARE a harsh ride, but the ride control is great!

I have been running Rancho 9000x shocks for quite some time. They are the best shock I have ever used. The adjust ability makes them almost perfect for any usage.

How do you get air in the shocks from being on a lift?

I'm guessing it's a frame lift that max out the shocks when raised. I've never heard of this either.

I think I'm gonna try out the Rancho 9000X shocks some day.

Yup a frame lift that maxes out the shock.

Did not know anything about it either but other board members mentioned it to me when I first posted the problem. I can understand why it is confusing to some, as I have never had this happen with any other brand of shock.

I have tried Edelbrock EAS which were way to stiff and the KYB Monomax which are questionable because of the air pockets and harsh ride.

Would love to try the Rancho 9000 but I do not want to invest over $100 per shock for a truck I am going to sell soon.

Might go with the Rancho RSX

Back