• Register Today It's free!

shock opinions

05dakotatrac

Reaction score
City, State
Ellsworth AFB, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 sport trac 4X4
im looking at changing out my shocks not sure if i have stocks or not but i do have deployment money and want to freshen all fluids and do a complete maintenance overhaul. i do mild off roading mainly fire dept. trails through the black hills and mudding back home in illinois. i haul a little weight from time to time mostly 2 polaris 500's on a trailer totaling around 2500-3000 with gear, quads, passengers, etc. so stiffer rear might be a worthy option whether by air shock, load adjust, or different valved. i searched high and low on this sit and its all over the board as brand and options. i always had my eyes on the napa "knock offs" specifically the air shock rear for loads and the sensa tracs front.

so long story short anyone with experience in light hauling and off road that might suggest a good shock set up please help me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

King or Fox 2.0's would be nice on a stock truck

I like Rancho RS5000 shocks. Plus, I just got off the phone with one of their senior techs, and he confirmed that the RS5374 shock is specifically designed for torsion twisted shocks, with increased travel and different valving. I'm installing mine tonight to replace the regular travel RS5229s and can post back my results.

The Monroe 58617 load adjusting rear shocks with springs seem to have a huge following and appear to be a bargain at less than $100 pr. They have been reported to be slightly firm without added weight, lift the rear slightly over one inch, and reduce the notorious "Ranger lean". The conventional twin tube SensaTrac's are soft and intended to be an OE replacement as a comfort "street" shock better suited for cars. A better match and balance for the front may be the firmer Rancho RS5000 or RS9000 nine setting adjustable shocks. 05dakotatrac, thanks for all your help on the forum. :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-...sorber/dp/B000C53RXK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I will second the Monroe Sensa trac's if you do light hauling. I have the extended travel RS5000's up front on mine as well, those feel great, but i comparing them to the stock ones that were on for 10 years.

thanks sp0rttr4c but kings are over kill im only running a torsion twist add-a-leaf lift and d rated 32". if i ever decide to run SOA and SAS then ill run king and or fox.

i only do light trailing so i think the monroe load adjusting will pull off the dual purpose of hual and wheel. but i here on our smaller trucks the rancho 5000's stiffen it up too. so maybe rancho with 1.5-3 lift or rs5374 and monroe load adjusting rear NS 58617.

my fear is the 37# springs on the rear shocks might prohibit flex while off roading . any insite on the offroad capabilities of the load adjusting rears dweeberman?

I've been hearing good things about the load adjusting shocks. I had the Monroe Max-Airs that are air adjustable. For me they were excellent in hauling situations and helped keep sway down since I wasn't running a rear sway bar. I only got rid of them when I went SOA in the rear since I needed a lot longer shocks and ones with a lot more travel. I am a fan of a firmer ride, but I was still happy with the Sensa-Tracs up front.

I've been hearing good things about the load adjusting shocks. I had the Monroe Max-Airs that are air adjustable. For me they were excellent in hauling situations and helped keep sway down since I wasn't running a rear sway bar. I only got rid of them when I went SOA in the rear since I needed a lot longer shocks and ones with a lot more travel. I am a fan of a firmer ride, but I was still happy with the Sensa-Tracs up front.

What did you do with those max airs?

I believe I still have them in my parts pile back in VA. I can check and see if they are actually there.

my fear is the 37# springs on the rear shocks might prohibit flex while off roading . any insite on the offroad capabilities of the load adjusting rears dweeberman?

I went last weekend and was very surprised. I went on some old unmaintained logging roads, the shocks performed very well. Not the ideal shock if you are speeding down the roads trying to be a rally car (still worked great though lol), but they did not hinder any articulation that I was putting them through. The up travel i decent, but the down travel is not that long, though i was unable to max them out and i had my 33in tires stuffed as far as they could go.

I would have to disagree that kings are overkill, even on a stock vehicle. If you have never ridden in a vehicle equipped with kings or foxs I could see how you could say that because that is what I always thought. Now that I have them and felt them I will never own another truck without them, stock, lifted, or even lowered. The ride quality is amazing, they never have to be replaced, they don't cost much more if you get 2.0 non reservoirs, They look *****in, and you will never regret buying them. My dad puts Bilsteins on all his trucks and I actually can't stand to ride in them, and I previously had Procomps and those were really good, for fire wood, Ranchos I have never ridden on but I would assume they are similar to Procomps.

Does anybody have part numbers for King or Fox for a 4wd ? Fox has rears listed for 2wd Ranger, King has nothing listed.

yeh if anyone has fox and or king part numbers for 1.5-3" of lift that would be great as i dont mind tossing the thought of getting some if prices are right.

i have a 450 grizzly that goes in my bed thats 800 pounds of weight over the axle and even with the add-a-leaf i squat about 1"-2"

and the waverunner i haul is even with that in squat (1200 CC 140HP yamaha FX cruiser HO)

i hual those a little bit less than i go take the truck off road

EDIT:
upon searching fox's site the smooth body remote 2.0 it looks like three options is it. here is the link: fox smooth body remotes

for fox smooth body remotes in the rear im not sure though as our rear ends use the double post setup up top so is that a class 11?

They should have rears that bolt right up and fronts maybe but most likely will need a shock tower, but that can be done very cheap or even on your own. What is nice is they build the shock to how you want it. If you want it really stiff they will send you a stiff shock. The best way is to call them directly and have a custom valved shock made for you. Bilsteins are also a great shock but I don't like the way the oem yellow and blue ones ride, but I have never ridden in anything with the 5100s or better so I don't know how their performance shocks perform.

my issue is the $230 cost for fox shocks. if im going that far to make a custom shock hoop and that cost i might as well go coil-over drop the torsion and get more flex.
honestly the options are pretty infinite and that leaves me clueless what way to go. anything is better than stock but where is the boundary on to stiff i can seem to find one thats smooth on road and adaptive off-road.

grrr so frustrating lol

edit suprise they make a perfect match to the front and rear on our trucks. with or without resivours. if you need a dealer's guide to include photos, this a great link.
http://www.ridefox.com/resources.php?ref=footer&m=truck

What part #'s did you come up with ? Our ST's have an odd front shock to clear the half shafts.

king makes nothing for the explorer or similar vehicles. fox does but have to be made to order. i'd agree with sporttrac but the only drawbacks are theyre expensive, they don't do too hot on towing and if you get youre valving wrong, you'll kick yourself in the ass and spend more money on getting them revalved and/or adding compression adjusters and resi's to really dial in the ride you want. i'm still kinda trying to dial mine in. to be honest i did mine for the bling, i don't offroad at all and i don't tow either. if you're looking for a good shock, go with the bandwagon and get rancho's or monroes. the load adjusting shocks are pretty badass.

or if you want to spend a bit more money but not kill your wallet is get the rancho rs9000's with myride. those are really cool too.

Very true, I already want to have my front shocks revalved. They are just a little soft for hard offroading. The rs9000s would most likely be the best choice for the op since they make them to fit our trucks. Like I said, I don't have any experience at all with Ranchos but I know that my Procomps were horrible and I love the kings. I wish I could have afforded bypass shocks but those get really pricey.

newfy check the top of the site there is a number to call i recommend this as there are tons of valving options and compressed and uncompressed lengths. on the second link it references optional mounts and they have a stud top with bolt plate bottom to match the front and the bolt plate top and standard bottom for the rear. the models are truck performance 2.0 series with or without resivours. no specific part number listed but call and give them that info and that can hook you up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll give them a call... We have the odd ball front shock that makes the standard shock not work.

F60229098.jpg

I've been studying the coil over conversion and think that is the direction I'm headed.

Back