• Register Today It's free!

Shock recommendations

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
I just recently put on some new Gabriel Ultra shocks on my 93 explorer. Needless to say I'm not very happy with them. I don't do a lot of offroading but do live in the country(dirt roads). Anybody have any suggestions? Looking for something stable but smooth riding. Thanks.
Also can anyone tell me what kind of grease I should use for tie rod ends? It looks like a grayish almost graphite look to it, real thick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah the Gabriel shocks are all pretty bad... try the Monroe Reflex. I really like the set I have. If you prefer a softer ride the Sensa-Tracs work well.

I really like the Bilsteins I have had for the past 3 years. They are the HD stock replacements. They ride firm, but not harsh. I replaced my rears recently for Monroe load adjusting shocks and they are really nice so far. I still have the Bilsteins in the front.

Arco777 I would like to know more about your modified throttle body and intake. I also want to put a 2 inch lift on mine. What is the best way to do that? I would like to fully replace my leaf springs since my driver side is sagging and I also just recently put 31's on it.

Yeah the Gabriel shocks are all pretty bad... try the Monroe Reflex. I really like the set I have. If you prefer a softer ride the Sensa-Tracs work well.

I have the reflex shock as well. I'm pretty happy with them. They ride good, firm when they need to be. Good handling.

Arco777 I would like to know more about your modified throttle body and intake. I also want to put a 2 inch lift on mine. What is the best way to do that? I would like to fully replace my leaf springs since my driver side is sagging and I also just recently put 31's on it.

For the throttle body search for Spdrcer34's throttle body mod. For intake I ended up going back to the stock airbox on one of my explorers. Jury is still out on whether it's worth changing. For the sag, either swap your left and right rear leaf springs and wait for it to level, or buy a junkyard right leaf and install it in place of the sagging left. I did the second option and installed new Moog front coil springs (~$80) at the same time. For a 2" lift I used Warrior shackles in the rear (~$80) and junkyard F150 coil spacers (~$10) up front. I did require an alignment of course, and some Explorers will need camber eccentric adjusters changed out.

Back