• Register Today It's free!

Shocks for 2" Lift by TT/WAR 153s

fpizzo

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Track
I'm looking into buying Rancho 9000s or Bilstiens for the X with a TT & WAR 153s in the back...
There have been many posts concerning the extra 2" of travel and a longer extending shock...has anyone run into problems with stock replacements?
And if so couldn't you fab a 2" spacer inbetween the lower A-arm and the shock mount?
Thanks for the help...
Fran:confused:

I ran stock length Gabriels for a while without any problems, they just limited my flex a bit. Now I have 2" lift Rancho 9000s front and 4" lift Superlifts out back. They helped out flex a lot. But instead of getting lift shocks, you can use shock extenders that you can probably find at any decent parts store.

I've thought about this but I'm not sure it would work on the front. The rears could use some 2" extensions since with the addition of longer shackles, you change the pivot point and actually increase travel (up to the limits of everything else (cables, hoses, bump stops etc). What I did on mine was removed the factory spacers which brought my rear shock plates back up to nearly the stock distance. This can only be dond on the Sports with the mono-leaf though. On the fronts though I don't think it will work. You aren't changing the travel length when you adjust the torsion bars. All you are changing is the resting place. Unless your shocks have an extra 2" of travel under full compression, putting 2" extensions on them will likely cause the shocks to bottom out under compression before the rest of your suspension bottoms out on the bump stops. You would effectively loose the last 2" of your upwards travel.

I had to extend my rear bumpstops about 1.25", but the fronts are fine.

Back