• Register Today It's free!

What length shock for 2" lift?

ZachMan

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4X4
Alot of people on here have 2" lift and I am wondering if you all are running stock length shocks or what? I am looking to order some RSXs or (I was told Monroe makes a shock just like the RSX for cheaper). Anyways I will have TT and ne springs so I just need to know what length shocks work or what shocks off another vehicle would be about right for a 2" lifted X?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the RSX's with Shackles/TT, they work fine

Ole Man Emu shocks are the way to go!! I just replaced my stock shocks with these and they work great. To me, they make sense. I have the TT as well. If you think about it, by moving your suspension up, you are loosing about 2 inches of travel in your shock. My factory shocks were reaching the top of the stroke just by going over speed bumps. No more...the Ole Man Emu shocks have the extended length and work great. Excellent ride as well. No more nose plowing when I hit the brakes and handles much better. The shocks were designed specifically for the TT application. Ole Man Emu sells a lift kit that includes rear leafs that give you a 1.5" lift and then they tell you to crank the torsion bars to get the same amount in the front. The kit comes with the extended length shocks as well. So if they are selling an extended length shock for a torsion twist application, then they must work for that application. And I am proof that they work! You can get them from 4wheelparts.com. I paid $63 each to the door. I hate to sound like a commercial, but I had the same dilema when I was looking at this same purchase. I have to say I am happy with my decision. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks IN2FORD,

So when I call 4wheelparts do I just tell them I want extended length OME shocks for my Explorer?

Just tell them you need 2 each of N16 and N17. Those are the part numbers for front and rear. Go for it!! You love them!!

Rancho 9000 ?

I have just acquired a 96 sport thats stock height with Bilsteins. I'm going to put on the 4dr leafs and shackels off my 91, TT and a 3" body lift to run 33s. Rancho only list stock length 9000s for a 96 sport but I will have aprox. 5" lift. It will be used very often offroad, on Bigdawg trails :D and I want the adjustability of the 9000s. Anyone know which particular one would work for me?
Thanks David

Oh yeah my bro has the OME shocks on his ex and I think he likes them alot.

I have 2inches of TT and 3inches of BL and im running stock length shocks without a problem

AspenX said:
I have just acquired a 96 sport thats stock height with Bilsteins. I'm going to put on the 4dr leafs and shackels off my 91, TT and a 3" body lift to run 33s. Rancho only list stock length 9000s for a 96 sport but I will have aprox. 5" lift. It will be used very often offroad, on Bigdawg trails :D and I want the adjustability of the 9000s. Anyone know which particular one would work for me?
Thanks David

Well the BL won't affect the shocks, just call and ask them I guess.

Back