• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy?????

RU MAN

Reaction score
City, State
Radford/Franklin, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 BII XLT
I now have a 91 explorer that is starting to rust more then i want and i think its time to say bye to me baby.

-96 Ranger XLT XCab
-79,000 miles
-4.0L
-4.10 gears
-5-Speed trans
-Good Interior
-Body is ok
-Paint is ok(needs a good waxing)
-15x10 Outlaw rims, with 31-10.50 crapstone(gone if i but it)
-It runs really strong,(but i'm used to my explorer)

They're asking $13,000 for it, but i think i can get it down to $10,000 or lower.

What do ya'll think i can get for my truck?
-91 Explorer XLT
-101,000 miles
-6k on new trans
-paint isn't the best
-rusted rocker/kicker panels
-Sunroof
-CD player
-Engine pings some, but not after its harmed up(still strong)
-30x9.5 Ko's with 10k on them
-Interior is good(Gray)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please Help

I really need help guys. I'm thinking about buying it this weekend. I think the price on the ranger is ok, but what do ya'll think. And what do ya'll think i should sell my Explorer for. Or what would you pay for it, I'm not asking if ya'll want to buy it, just how much you would pay for it.

You should be able to get it for 10500 or so. I got my 94 w/60k on it for 8000 so I would bargain him down a bit. W/ the 4.10 gearing you should be able to get away w/ running 33s w/o a gear change. The first thing you will want to do is ditch the air dam...it hangs WAAAYY to low.

You don't mention if the truck is a 4x4 or 4x2. That can affect the value alot.
You should go to kelleybluebook.com and find out the current values of both vehicles. (I'm not sure if that's the exact address.)

Brian,

Seems to me that 91 Explorers in the DC area advertised for 3500-5000 range. Dont know how that relates to your area though. There are a ton of explorers here, Ive been vehicle shopping and you can find a few on every lot, althought the dealers seem to be 1500-2000 higher than the private sellers- due to warranties, service etc.

These are just some casual observations.

Good luck, the truck sounds really good.

RangerX,
It's a 4x4, i wouldn't buy a 2x4, just if i have to.

Steve,
Are you selling your Navajo? I think i'm going to sell it for around $4,000. It might be at GWNF in a ranger. But who knows.

Jim, Thanks man for the link.

I just looked up the Ranger and it said it was worth 11,095, but i don't know about that, because i looked up mine too and it said my explorer is worth 8,250. Soo does anyone want to buy an explorer that is half price of the value.

hey big black jeep! what the f#@$!!! we dont knock jeeps on our site so whats up with joining our ranks to knock our trucks. i have nothing against jeeps i just think yours sucks

Explorer or Jeep...Come on guys, he is here to get a rise out of you. You all are above driving a Jeep, Why lower yourselfs to acting like the owners of one..

Originally posted by jimabena74
hey big black jeep! what the f#@$!!! we dont knock jeeps on our site so whats up with joining our ranks to knock our trucks. i have nothing against jeeps i just think yours sucks
Originally posted bymdrut
Explorer or Jeep...Come on guys, he is here to get a rise out of you. You all are above driving a Jeep, Why lower yourselfs to acting like the owners of one..
Right on!!!

back on track now...

The Ranger sounds like a really good truck at a good price. I'd definitely go for it if I were you, especially if they will drop the price.
You should definitely be able to get $4000 out of your Explorer without a problem. How much are they willing to give you for it as a trade in?

John,
I didn't even ask. I know they wouldn't give me much since i not buying a new truck.

I would buy new Jeep, but wait a minute they stop making real jeeps a long time ago, they just make what looks like a jeep. I guess I'll just have to buy a tuff ass FORD!!

Ask about the trade in value. Some places will disappoint you and some will suprise you. It depends on how much the vehicle you're buying is marked up and how much they think they can get for yours. Try to talk the Ranger price down or the Explorer trade in up. I'd be happy with $13k for the Ranger and $4k for the X. Being able to go better would be great. Regardless of the final prices, I think you'll be getting a good deal for a great truck.

See ya on the 17th.

Selling No.

No-brian not selling the Navajo, just getting it to where I want. Its going to be my toy I think. We were shopping for a new vehicle for my wife, and Im hoping to replace one of my other vehicles this summer/fall so Ive been to a few dealers lately.

Good luck with the trucks, like I said the Ranger sounds good if you can work out the price.

Steve, Did fix what you did at GWNF to your navajo? I didn't want to ask in the GWNF thread because i didn't want to scare anyone going?

BTW, I know the auto tranny in the xplorer sucks, does the ranger have the same auto tranny. I know the one a want to buy is a 5-speed, but i really would like a auto(its just easyer).

What does anyone else think?

Damage adds character!!

Nope not fixed. Ive got top be more patient- could have avoided the whole thing. Im going to run Kephart first on the 17th with a clear head, instead of at the end of a long day! Im not going to fix it until I get some nerf bars made. Next project is tire carrier and the nerf bars.

The trannys (the whole drivetrain) are the same in the 4.0 rangers and Explorers as far as I know. I dont think the 5sp or the Auto are much different in terms of strength.

what did you do to your Navajo SteveVB?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back