Should I... or shouldn't I....... change my diff fluid! ^^ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I... or shouldn't I....... change my diff fluid! ^^

BHop

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL
Hey guys what's shakin?

Should I change my diff fluid?

As we all know, according to the Haynes/Ford manual, the stock differential fluid is for life as long as it is not submersed in to water.

Mine has not been submersed in to water. My X has 142000 Km or 88750 miles on it.

I think the criteria that I will use to dictate whether or not to change my diff fluid is how clean/dirty it is. I will be taking a look at it this week if things go well.

Has anyone checked their diff with this kind of mileage, and found the the fuild was dirty? This would be helpful information to know before hand, in which case it will have to be done indefinatly.

Thanx !

... and yes I tried a search!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Given the relatively low cost of changing the oil, I'd rather error on the side of caution and change it. I do not see how they can say the oil will last a lifetime without knowing where and how the vehicle will be used.

At 110k my factory gear oil was fairly dirty.

Ummm, why don't you look at the fluid first and then report. If its dirty change if not change any ways. As Green said fluid is cheap R&P's aren't

Thank you Green & Positive...

I am going to try to check it this week. I say try cuz I am a little bit on the busy side of things with school wraping up, and with all the other thing that I am try to get done on the weekends.

I will report the condition of the fluid once I have done so. I will probably change it too.. but I don't know exactly when due to the low $$$ I am experiencing.

Thanks

Your welcome!

It doesn't take but a minute or two to check your fluid and to replace should only be around $10-$15 if you do it yourself.

first thing i did was change all the fluids in mine shortly after i bought it, never hurts, plus if u do change it i think u need friction modifier if you have a limited slip.

Update!

It's Friday and I have the day off from work and school and I decided to go ahead and check on the condition of my differential fluid and the level of the fluid as well.

I must say, if you have never taken of the fill plug in a 10 year period, it could be a PITA.

Anyways, it's very clean. Looks new to me. It is a tad bit low, but nothing significant. When I say tad, I thought a little bit of fluid would come out of the fill hole after taking it off, and it didn't. On the underside of the plug is a magnet, and indeed, very small metal filings stuck to it.

My conclusion is that yes, it's cheap to do, but on my explorer, it is unnecessary, at least for the time being. Their is no reason why I can not go another 88750miles before having to even check my diff.

Either way, I have just found out that I need new rear brake pads, which run like $80 or so dollars where I live. I money will go in to that.

Thanks for everyones reply.

Cheers.

Update!
Either way, I have just found out that I need new rear brake pads, which run like $80 or so dollars where I live. I money will go in to that.

Cheers.

if u go to advance auto/autozone and buy the cheap ones it wont be that much, i got all 4 rotors and 8 pads for $202.31 today

I hope you cleaned those metal shavings off the plug before putting it back!

-Drew

ps - and one thing about manufacturer "lifetime" advice....when your rear end blows up over a simple fluid change, they will go "well, that was the lifetime of it." People get confused on whos "lifetime" we're talking about. I'd change it even if it is good - especially if it's a LSD rear.

I hope you cleaned those metal shavings off the plug before putting it back!

-Drew

ps - and one thing about manufacturer "lifetime" advice....when your rear end blows up over a simple fluid change, they will go "well, that was the lifetime of it." People get confused on whos "lifetime" we're talking about. I'd change it even if it is good - especially if it's a LSD rear.

Concurred! Fluid is cheap. Gears aren't. If it is a LS can't hurt to change it! At least you got under there and checked it! :cool:

At least you checked it at 88,000 miles. I didn't check/change mine until 133,000 miles. :eek:

I have never seen fluid so dark in my life. :confused:

Back