• Register Today It's free!

Should I rebuild or scrap

niteshooter

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 5spd 4DR 4x4
I have a 1991 Explorer XLT purchased new in 1990. It has 365,000 kms or I would guess just around 200,000 miles. It is my winter beater but is really starting to show it's age. I posted the following to another thread where someone was polling the readers as to what work they have had to do on their Explorers.

Mine is very high mileage but I have had very little trouble with it and until recently had been running very well.

The only items I have replaced are,
tires - on third set and averaging 110,000 per set
clutch-currently on second, original replaced at 210,000 kms
front hubs-replaced with Warn Manual locking at 250,000 kms as automatics would lock unexpectedly
front wheel bearings-replaced at this time
main driveshaft ujoints also replaced at this time, only 1 needed but replaced both
starter motor-replaced original at 300,000 kms
parking brake cable-replaced at 300,000 kms as it was rusted solid. Still stiff.
rivet for power door lock mech snapped at 290,000 km. Re riveted
battery-on second but needs replacement.

Problems that need to be fixed....
-Paint is shot, though it is original and only bad on hood and roof
bad rust holes at seam below rear passenger doors both sides
-Top end of motor is very noisey from around 300,000 km point
-New intermittant rattling sound from engine unknown cause
-sudden backfiring and loss of power under power
-anitfreeze loss, about 1/2 pint every tank of gas until recently cannot find source of leak, have just noticed slight sweat around water pump.
-Stereo is intermittant, plug on rear is loose. Fixed once but did something dumb when replacing it and bent locking tabs on side so now radio extraction tool will not

I'm wondering whether to replace the motor, and rad (rad is original) with rebuilds. In it's present state I would guess it's trade in value is nil so wonder if I should put several $$$ into it to keep it on the road for another 5-6 years.

But wonder if I am making a mistake as I'm sure there are other items that will be ready to go.

Mainly concerned about other possible rust areas, rest of body is actually good including fenders. Main problem area seems to be common on all the Explorers I have seen up here in Canada, the seam below the rear passenger doors. Notice Ford got smart and put a plastic trim cap over rocker panels, wonder if that was to hide this area?

I suppose if trade in is nil and rebuild is uneconomical would parting it out be a better idea instead of a trip to the scrap yard? The interior is still in good shape, only drivers seat has a slight tear on side cushion, other seats like new. Also had most pwr options, fact sunroof, premium snd with amp and subwoofer etc.

Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds like a very reliable vehicle. and the problems it has after so many kilometers seem very minor. i would keep it and fix it if i was you. why junk such a great truck. with a little work, you'll get many more years out of it.

I second that. I'd rebuild the engine and tranny and while they're out I'd go over everything like exhaust, driveline, and fuel system that's under the truck. Maybe a new radiator and new accessories (alt, A/C) just to be safe, but all-in-all I think you should keep it.

Thanks for the replys Leenjen and Alec, I've been really agonizing over this for the past year. I really like the Explorer and did a lot of research before purchasing in 1990. I ordered mine before the dealer even had them on the lot and carefully picked every option I thought I would want.

I never expected to keep the vehicle for more than 5-6 years, though I was starting to keep my vehicles a lot longer. The Explorer has been an exceptionally reliable truck and I'm going to get it to a friends shop to see how the floorpan is looking. I don't think it is bad but I think I think I might be wise to check for rot before I sink to much $$$ into the motor.

I'm curious as to what others with older Explorers are doing, if I do replace the motor should I consider going to the SOHC instead of the OHV? Will my 5 spd mate up to this engine?

Alec, I was thinking along the same lines. If I go for the motor I'm going to replace the Rad, probably should replace all the hoses, belts etc as they are with the exception of the lower rad hose and serpentine belt original. S belt probably is ready for replacement as I noticed a couple of cracks forming when checking it the other day.

Didn't think about the other items like AC compressor and alternator but it would make sense to replace these as well if I'm going to do the motor.

The exhaust headers are original as well and I suspect will crumble when removed. Wonder if I should be thinking headers and SS exhaust system. Now I'm starting to see lots of $$$ in my future....but this is still going to be my winter beater so perhaps sticking to cast iron stock gear would make more sense?

Should I be thinking about replacing the fuel injection system as well since it's original?

I guess one of my other concerns is how much stuff is rusted in place due to age. I do spray the engine bay with Rust Check before the winter but I notice a lot of rust everywhere.

Truck was in for a tuneup and general inspection at the dealer recently and they said everything was ok including brakes.

Guess the best thing to do is see what shape the undersides are in and if they are good I'll drop the $$$ on a new motor and some of the other things mentioned. Starting to worry that this is going to cost more than a new vehicle.....

Kevin

with current interest rates, and deals going on.. Id say scrap it...it needs too much work. For the value of the car, and what you save on repairing all this crap... you can put a down payment on a newer truck, or even a brand new truck, w/ a warranty,, get another car, 10 years is more than good use out of a vehicle

Originally posted by Steve94LTD
with current interest rates, and deals going on.. Id say scrap it...it needs too much work. For the value of the car, and what you save on repairing all this crap... you can put a down payment on a newer truck, or even a brand new truck, w/ a warranty,, get another car, 10 years is more than good use out of a vehicle

Yup that was the flip side to rebuilding. The Explorer doesn't owe me a thing, been a great truck.

I think just to settle it I'll take it over to the shop and get a buddy of mine to take a quick peek and get a second opinion. Also run it by the body shop to see if they think it's not worth fixing.

Thanks.

Kevin

Keep or deep?

My main concern would be the body, if it is in good shape, then I would keep it, if not change it. I dont think repairs could cost more than a new truck. I do all my jobs, so it's just a matter of paying parts, time is free, so even if I spend up to 2000$ a year + paint job at 3 or 4 years (wich you did not do in 10 years), it's still no truck payment ( 400$ x 12 months= 4800$) . That truck is worth repairing because it is built solid, wich I doubt you could find again.

I say keep it to use as a beater, that way you don't need to fix every little thing that goes wrong with it, and then you could also get a newer vehicle. It's a win win situation.

RE: mating an SOHC with your 5spd - Don't think it'll work. I don't think the SOHC was ever offered with the 5spd, so it may be more trouble than it's worth (redoing electronics, computer etc.)

The SOHC would be an incredible amount of money and work to swap it, making it a bad choice. On the other hand, with the age and such high milage, ya probly couldn't sell it off for squat. Either its rebuild it, or keep it till it dies, and get a new vehicle.
Pete

Back