• Register Today It's free!

what should i rebuild?

happyranger

Reaction score
City, State
york, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB
I just bought a well maintained 98 V6 sohc explorer with 169k for my wife's DD, after her 97 was totaled out by the insurance company, (long story). we are going to swap the engine from the 97 into the 98 and put the 98 engine into the 97. I'm sure it sounds dumb, but the engine in the 97 is a jaspar reman with 11k on it. the 98 has 169k. we plan to keep her newer 98 for a long time and sell the 97 to a friend. so what should we do to either of them to help them last a long time?

I was considering for my wife's 98 to flush the transmission, cooling system and power steering and change the fluid in the differentials. anything else i should consider.

for the 97 i was thinking about replacing the timing chains, oil pump and water pump before putting the engine from the 98 in. are there other things i should do to an engine with 169k on it that runs strong otherwise?

both explorers are V6 sohc 4wd and i use mobil 1 oil filter and conventional castrol 5w-30, but after reading a poll on oil i might change to mobil 1 synthetic.

If anyone can answer or point me to a post that already answered these questions that would be a big help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my honest opinion would be, if you are swapping motors, leave the high miler alone if you are selling it. unless you have access to ford tools, from what i have seen here timing chains are not easy to do. motor swap (from 4L SOHC to 4L SOHC) is easy.

i have access to the tools, so that is no big deal, should i just replace the timing chain tensioners and keep the chain?

I believe since it is a rebuilt jasper motor that you will not have to worry about the timing chain tensioners. Your motor is probably re manufactured recently enough, they probably installed the new tensioners that do not wear out like the old ones.

i know the jaspar engine doesn't need any work done, but the engine with
169k will probably need them. my friend who is buying the car that will have the transplanted high mileage engine is helping with the swap, so i want to make sure that he won't have trouble a few months after he buys it.

From what i have seen, the chain isnt really an issue, so if you are going to do it then just the tensioners should be sufficient. I would say its not worth it on a SOHC motor with 169K because you never see them over 200k, they just do not tend to make it that far most of the time, at least when compared to the 5.0 and the OHV, but if the motor is out and you have the tools its probably a good idea.

I think since it's out, you should go ahead and replace the tensioners AND chain on the 169k. from what I've read, those chains and poor maintenance are the reason you don't see high mileage SOHC's. If it's out and available, do all you can to keep it running a long time. just my opinion.

:D

thanks guys, i guess its time to break out the tools and crank up the radio. :hammer:

Back