should i remove the a/c? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

should i remove the a/c?

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
the a/c in my 93 X doesnt work, i considered converting to r-134a to recharge, but idk if it will be worth it, since i feel like it will end up being pricey, so if i just drain the system and remove the compressor completely would i gain and HP or MPG?
thanks
riley

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the a/c in my 93 X doesnt work, i considered converting to r-134a to recharge, but idk if it will be worth it, since i feel like it will end up being pricey, so if i just drain the system and remove the compressor completely would i gain and HP or MPG?
thanks
riley

Some, I don't know how much you would gain but anytime you bypass really any pulley eq, you reduce some drag and get at least a little gain in HP and MPG. In a newer truck the difference would be smaller I'd think, but as compressors get older they tend to place more drag on the system even when idle. If you really want to test just remove the belt and see how freely the pulley spins when the compressor is not engaged.. Just test with your hand, unless if free wheels completely, and you notice no resistance in the pulley, then you going to reduce that drag by that much! If you do test it, and it does in fact move with no resistance your gain will be small. I have a 82 Trans AM with a 72 Chevy 350 in it, and it used to be a V6. I could never get the AC working because I could never get hoses that would work. I one day went out and tested my compressor and sure enough, there was drag even with the compressor idle. So I removed it. On those cars the AC had it's own belt, so no big deal. On our engines you'll need to get a non-ac belt. Good luck!

If the compressor wheel spins freely your gains will be to small to notice really. If it's binding then that's another story. I'd wager you wouldn't pick up more than .1mpg increase or 1/10th of a hp with it removed.
If your charge is empty on your a/c they sell retrofit kits fairly cheap, like under $40 at most auto part stores. Sure ideally you need to get the system vaccumed to remove any air that's gotten in, but I've seen people get by with just filling it off. The only problem is it won't get as cold as it could and prob wont last you more than 1 season per fill. In my own experience, if you can find a heating & A/C friend they can help you with the vaccum issue.

thanks for the info,
i will just go pull the serp belt off tomorow and see how easy it spins, then after that decide what to do.

i considered the retrofit kit from napa for $45, but im worried that there will be a leak somewhere else in the system and will end up costing me more money, i really dont wanna spend more than $50 on it, since i would only use it about one month out of the year. and i dont mind rolling down the windows instead.

is there a way to pressure test the system to see if it leaks elsewhere?

I run the r134 in my explorer. I replaced everything but the pump at the time i did my swap over. Now the pump is down and leaked everything out.

I've seen a couple of autoshops that offer free inspection of your a/c system. I imagine you can try to talk them into doing a pressure test on it for you. Get them to evac the system and see if the neg pressure holds. Then take your written estimate, tell them you'll talk it over with the wife, and go home. If the pressure held just take advantage of the free service they gave you. Some places will even identify any leak for you free of charge so you know where to start.

The only hard part of that is finding a shop that will do that for free and getting out the door without them selling something to you. If it makes you feel better you can schedule an appointment at a later date and just not show up for it or cancel on the phone later.

I bought a new dryer and a few other things. Just the cost in parts

cool i guess i will call around and try to find somewhere that will test it for me and maybe vac it out.
gotta love free service :) lol

Yeah i would have it checked for leaks now. Then make the decision. It is better to spend a little to have it check than to drop a few hundred and have to keep putting more in it

Back