Should I supercharge or turbocharge? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I supercharge or turbocharge?

Turbo or supercharger?

• Turbo

• Supercharger

Results are only viewable after voting.

explorerjosh

Reaction score
City, State
Coral Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS Base
I'm no car guy, I'm into the appearance of a car, but at the same time the performance. I don't know much about engines. I know though, that supercharging and turbocharging gives more power(?). I am considering one of those options on my 04' XLS Base model. I would like more power, a better performing engine, and better fuel economy. The truck is completely stock at the moment, but I have many plans for it. What should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am assuming you have the4.0L v6, and lucky for you, they respond very well to boost even when the engine is completely stock. Plenty of mustangs running around with this engine and some sort of power adder. Looking back on my project, I originally had a 4.0L and I wish I had just put a turbo on it. It appears to be rather easy. I would flip the exhaust manifolds side to side so they face forward, make them meet in front of the engine and mount a single turbo. Plenty of room for oil lines and air piping. Get rid of the stock exhaust y-pipe, run a pipe from the turbo outlet on the drivers side of the engine so it's a straight shot out the exhaust. This would be a fairly straight forward install I feel like. China chargers are cheap on eBay, $250-$300. Probably need to step the injectors up a few sizes, and hopefully you can find a decent tuner. That's just my opinion.

I am assuming you have the4.0L v6, and lucky for you, they respond very well to boost even when the engine is completely stock. Plenty of mustangs running around with this engine and some sort of power adder. Looking back on my project, I originally had a 4.0L and I wish I had just put a turbo on it. It appears to be rather easy. I would flip the exhaust manifolds side to side so they face forward, make them meet in front of the engine and mount a single turbo. Plenty of room for oil lines and air piping. Get rid of the stock exhaust y-pipe, run a pipe from the turbo outlet on the drivers side of the engine so it's a straight shot out the exhaust. This would be a fairly straight forward install I feel like. China chargers are cheap on eBay, $250-$300. Probably need to step the injectors up a few sizes, and hopefully you can find a decent tuner. That's just my opinion.
Yes, I have a 4.0L V6 SOHC. Are you sure that I should put my life in the hands of a product from China? Is it reliable? I definitely would like to have an improvement in sound of the exhaust. I would like a loud kind of rumble. Any recommendations? Also, do you know where I can get certain interior parts? For example, I need the rubber cover that is on the column shifter and by the ignition. Mine has ripped and annoys the sh*t out of me.

I'm looking for mods for a V6.

I suggest getting the best turbo that your budget allows for, but a cheap China charger will work. As far as exhaust, there are a couple companies that make cat back systems, but getting a v6 to "rumble" might be hard to do. The last one of those shifter boot things was at the ford dealer, but eBay might have them also.

Previous owner put a cherry bomb glasspack on my 02 with the 4.0 V6. It rumbles pretty well, especially for being relatively cheap.

there are very few kits out for explorers. either way you will have to either modify, or make your own kit for either turbo or supercharger. there is also more to it then just that. you need to upgrade your fuel system, and air intake system as well as tune it.

I would start with a tuner and gears then exhaust and cams, a turbo or supercharger would be great but your talking spending more money than it's worth

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

scroll down on the left to the SOHC area. They make a heads/cam package. There is also a company out there that makes the kit, includes everything you need to install an Eaton M90 supercharger. The only thing you need to complete the kit is the supercharger itself. I am not sure if the Eaton M112 will work or not, but the M90 is a good size for the v6.

i threw an m90 on my 4.0 but my advice would be to learn your engine first

Back