Should I trade for this? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I trade for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I got the truck...the bad from what I could tell first then the good:

Bad:

misfire on cylinders 1 and 6 possible ecm module issue.
Right side mirror is cracked
front driver seat has a tear in the leather.
AC has a leak, and needs some freons once the leak is fixed luckily its winter now so rush in getting it fixed.
Console info center says check headlights, but the lights are on and working.
shocks seem a bit bouncy over bumps
Title wasnt in his name but his ex wife's husband, but the owner's signature is on the title and seems clear.
Need an inspection done in texas and registration and title transfer done.
Good:

I was getting 21.9 miles per gallon on the way home, better gas mileage then my volvo
Sunroof works great!
Info center is handy to have telling you lots of cool info.
Transmission seems to shift smooth.
only 135K on odometer low for a 97
Heater works great
lots more room then my volvo
did I mention it has a sunroof

So all in all I think with about 300 bucks I can get it inspected and tune up and hopping its not the coil and just a plug or wire thats bad on those 2 cylinders.
title transfer and reg plus inspection. AC needs to be charged and find the leak hopefully its just a hose or something minor he told me that a mechanic told him in 30 min it would lose its charge so seems like a big leak. Stereo works great I am big on the gadgets and the ford explorer offers a whole lot more gadgets in the cab then the volvo did, plus did I mention it has a sunroof LOL.

Thats about it I am hopeing the title will be ok and I can get it in my name with no leins or stolen etc....I have a bill of sale from him for 1700, while we were checking out his truck he got the oil changed for me 50 bucks and had the code scanned on the check engine light showing 2 cylinders misfiring..So let me know what you think I highly respect your opinion on these forums. Did I make a good trade or was I stupid and will have many headaches?

The cylinder aspect could be anything from plugs to wires to the coil, all are under 70 bucks from Autozone, Shocks are very easy to do yourself with most basic hand tools, you don't even need to jack the truck up. Right mirror can be a little tricky but i did one on my friends 97xlt in under half an hour with a socket set and a little patience. (magnetic sockets would be a good idea here) Check headlights could be a resistor problem or it could be something like bad code and you'd just need to reset the computer. I never had a computer so i can't say for sure.

If the AC is leaking that rapidly it's more then likely a huge leak and will have to be diagnosed, and it's something that can be done with colored dye.

If there is no underlying problems and the Misfires are something simple it seems like you got a good deal.

Justin

pics!

I wouldn't be afraid of it. Sounds like minor issues to me...

Good buy mate, I wish I had a sunroof!! hope the dramas turn out to minor and I'm sure you'll love youre ex.

Here are some pics...hasnt been cleaned up too much yet.

Very very nice, sweet colour and the interior looks great, I do like that sunroof!

sounds fair trade to me if everyone comes out happy

welcome my friend derek had a 98 s70 volvo and he traded it in and got an 06 or 07 Volkswagon Passat 2.0T

was it an even trade or did he trade up and had to finance the rest the 98 s70 is only worth about 1800 at the most and that is private party trade in value is much less then that with a dealer.

i am nto to sure i gotta ask him

I see you found one. I hope it works out for you. Has your daughter seen it yet?

Back