Should I Trade in My '06 Ex Limited??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I Trade in My '06 Ex Limited???

rpr

Reaction score
City, State
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
I just received an offer from my Ford dealer to pay me 120% of the blue book value for 2006 Explorer Limited if I purchase a new vehicle. Of course, this is driven by Ford's collapse as of late and they are desparate to move inventory.

My 2006 Limited (w/ V8) is in near perfect condition, with only 30,000 miles. I'm very happy with it except for:

1. Poor fuel economy
2. Battery drains/dies if not used for a couple of weeks or more
3. Intermittent hesitation when starting from stop or accelerating from low speeds (dealer calls this "normal" fly by cable characteristics...of course this is not true)
4. Interior door handle

If I were to do this, I would probably stick with the V8 Limited (Ford's web site says the EPA rated mpg is slightly better on the V8 as compared to the V6).

So the question is, have there been any improvements in the last 3 years (other than fixing the interior door handle) that would justify the cost to go from an "06 to a '09 Limited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was under the impression that all 06 explorers had that hesitation when you hit the gas and the only way to fix it was with a custom tuned X-Cal II?

I have a custom tune from Bama Chips. It helps alot but it doesn't eliminate it.

rpr how much r u askin for ur limited

Blue book retail is close to $22,000 with the options I have. Also, correction to my initial post...mileage is only 17,800.

Figure I need to shoot for about $1,000 less than Blue Book retail as a starting point.

The dealer did not honor the 120 percent blue book offer because I can buy at wholesale cost throuh my employer (Ford X Plan price), so I will need to try to sell myself.

My parents get around 22 MPG with their '07 4.6 3V. It has a lot to do with the driving style. There is an ECM update for the hesitation and such. Try a different dealer. Some have better customer service than others. These vehicles are equipped with many electronics that have a small, but steady draw. The battery will eventually run out. Either disconnect the battery when not using it for a while or start it once a week.

Door handle, I don't know how you live with that. Thankfully they fixed it for '07. Find some door panels from a salvage yard. I fully understand your complaint here.

It just sounds like you are looking for an excuse of a new vehicle. Its completely your call whether or not to trade. If you are in the financial situation to do so, then do it. If the Explorer is paid off I would hold out. You are nearing the end of the warranty, get the issues fixed and run the crap out of it! The Gen4's seem built quite well compared to the Gen3's. I don't like the materials used in the interior for a $40k vehicle, but I didn't pay for my parent's.

rpr u got pics of ur limited that ur trying to sell and also what color is it and is it a 4x2 or 4x4

I'm sitting in an airport right now...no access to any pics.

It is black on black (interior leather). Engine is V8 w/ 6 speed tranny. 4X4. Power moon roof. Trailer towing package. Third row power recessed seating. Remote start. Brand new tires...one was puctured w/ a nail and was not repairable so I had an excuse to replace all the stock tires which I never liked w/ new Michelins. Everything is mint condition.

Rich

I just received an offer from my Ford dealer to pay me 120% of the blue book value for 2006 Explorer Limited if I purchase a new vehicle.

Read the fine print. It's usually over the fair condition market value which may just work out to be what it's actually worth being in almost perfect condition.

My 2006 Limited (w/ V8) is in near perfect condition, with only 30,000 miles. I'm very happy with it except for:

1. Poor fuel economy
2. Battery drains/dies if not used for a couple of weeks or more
3. Intermittent hesitation when starting from stop or accelerating from low speeds (dealer calls this "normal" fly by cable characteristics...of course this is not true)
4. Interior door handle
1. it can be improved
2. Sounds like you need a new battery.
3. Common problem with the 6 speed transmission. There is a TSB and transmission tune update for that.

Back