Should injectors be replaced as a set? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should injectors be replaced as a set?

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
My son's 1998 Ranger 3.0 needs the #5 injector replaced. I see matched sets on Amazon. Is it important to replace them as a set or can we do just one? I plan on replacing all the orings even if we just do one injector.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you don't need a set, but it depends on why one has a problem.

If the one had a manufacturing issue and that's the problem, just that one is enough. If you have extreme mileage and they're all due to be replaced, do that. If you have varnish buildup, then I'd put some Techron in the next couple tanks of gas to see if that helps.

You do need to replace all the 0-rings, any time they are taken off they may not seal right.

"Matched sets" though? That is not a thing. Every injector of the same part # from same manufacture is matched enough. Arguably even different manufacturers "should" be close enough, but if we're splitting hairs, from same manufacturer is more assurance of being same.

Seems to me... if you're going to go to the trouble (all the stuff you have to remove, all the new gaskets that are needed, all the plastic parts that might break, all the vacuum leaks that might be created by removing/reinstalling old hoses, etc.) of replacing one injector, then as long as you can afford it (rebuilt/cleaned set of 6 for under $100), then go ahead and replace them all while you're at it. Especially since... I assume... that truck has a lot of miles on it.

YES REPLACE THEM AS A SET
You do not have to no, obviously if the #5 injector has failed and you replace the injector you will be back up and running....but how long until another one goes out?
A set of refurbished injectors is like under $100.....
replace all 6 with a good matched set

YES REPLACE THEM AS A SET
You do not have to no, obviously if the #5 injector has failed and you replace the injector you will be back up and running....but how long until another one goes out?
A set of refurbished injectors is like under $100.....
replace all 6 with a good matched set

I see sets of injectors but none for our truck that are that cheap. What's a good source for them?

What's the difference between a refurbished $60 set and a refurbished $450 set?
The $450 is priced to high lol

The $450 refurbs are REALLY GOOD. Tell you what... I think I can get them at a discount for you... send me $400 (cash) and I'll get 6 refurbs over to you ASAP.

Matched and flow matched are two different things, just to avoid confusion here.

Old injectors can be repaired and cleaned (but seriously not worth it, if set of new costs $100) and even new injectors can have mismatched spray pattern\quantity, that's why some injector shops sell "flow matched" injectors. Each injector flow rate is measure and arranged according to the rates and matched with similarly flowing injectors.

^ I agree that injectors can be flow matched, but I don't think that is what they're doing on those $60 sets, just that they are the same part # sold in a set.

Back