Should there be any play at all in front wheel bearings? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should there be any play at all in front wheel bearings?

Ok, if by "next position" you mean next position tighter that must be what I'm screwing up.

Yes, that is what I mean.. I'll see if I can find where I saw that.. Just double check things aren't too tight..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes next position means tighter and DO NOT force it in or I would imagine you'll have a hell of time trying to get it out next time.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll try again!

Doeth!. Its been so long since I've had auto hubs it didn't even occur to me that you might have them...

Yes, if its still backing off, all you can do is try to get it slightly tighter but do check to see if its getting too tight.

As for the grease, Yes, I take the extra grease and pack it into the center of the rotor. I figure it will keep keep water from getting through the hub to the other bearing if water somehow gets to one side.

~Mark

EDIT: If you fill the void between the bearings I don't see much grease going through the bearing and going into the hub. At least not enough to cause a problem. If you pack the hub, thats a different story.

maniac, your theory on filling the void used to make sense to me until i did it. the next time i went to use the 4 whell drive the hubs mouldnt lock. i had to soak them in atf for 3 or 4 days to get all the grease out, and they were cleaned when i did the bearings.

Hrm.. I haven't noticed that happening on my hubs.. course they are manual hubs with the warn conversion nuts... But, I'll make a point to check that next time..

~Mark

i dont know if the different nut design stops the grease, i havent owned a ford with manual hubs since o3, and i was way too young to pay attention to that kind of stuff.lol i dont think grease will affect the operation of the manual hubs though

Back