should there be any slop with new inner tie rods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

should there be any slop with new inner tie rods?

sehaare

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT 4WD SOHC,94XLT gone
98 XLT SOHC 4DR 4WD

I've read through the other treads and most of them just end without a resolution. Here is my issue:

I was refurbishing the entire front end suspension and steering. I had replaced both upper control arm, but lower control arms, sway bar bushing and liinks. shop had replaced one inner tie rods and I have replace the other and both outer tie rods. While I had the front end up on jackstands I noticed that both tires can be moved somewhat before the rack and the other tire starts to move.

I thought that it might be a bad wheel hubs but today when I put it up again there was no up down motion only side to side, so I figure that rules out wheel hub bearings.

So now I'm wondering if I'm over reacting. Is there supposed to be a little slop with inner tie rods? or are both inner tie rods bad (I doubt that), or is it the steering rack?

XLT came back last time aligned fine and drives straight.

I'm trying to get this all figured out before I go off on a work trip for 4 months and leave the XLT home for my daughter.

As Always thanks in advance for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to add that I have the same issue with the engine running and the front end up in the air.

Everything should be tight with no play. Put the front end up on jackstands and have a helper wiggle the wheel side to side. While they do that, crawl under and feel for where the play is. If the outer tie rod feels tight, you can try to pull down on the inner and ask your helper if the play is gone.

Benjam :D

Same rig here... '98 SOHC 4x. 201k miles. Did inner/outer tie rods, new steering rack (had my shop do that), UCA's with bj's, shocks, hubs, end links with ES bushings, Moog sway bar bushings, and brakes all within the last year.
There will be some play in the lateral movement of the tie rods. The LCA/UCA/hub/shock assembly moves up and down with terrain and the CV joint and tie rods must be able to compensate for that up/down flex. Inordinate slop is probably not good but minor lateral movement is normal. There is a good write up on somewhere on the board - sorry, don't know where the post is exactly.

Same rig here... '98 SOHC 4x. 201k miles. Did inner/outer tie rods, new steering rack (had my shop do that), UCA's with bj's, shocks, hubs, end links with ES bushings, Moog sway bar bushings, and brakes all within the last year.
There will be some play in the lateral movement of the tie rods. The LCA/UCA/hub/shock assembly moves up and down with terrain and the CV joint and tie rods must be able to compensate for that up/down flex. Inordinate slop is probably not good but minor lateral movement is normal. There is a good write up on somewhere on the board - sorry, don't know where the post is exactly.

Thanks, I went with moog for everything so I didn't cheap out on anything. One of the two hubs was replaced by ford within last two years (had anti lock issues and couldn't tell which side so let ford at it and they replaced the hub).

The only movement is lateral. I've got new tires on it so I guess I'll keep an eye out for tire ware.

Thanks again.
Steve

The lateral movement of the tire should be ideally zero. However, for a normal passenger vehicle, it is accepted that a very small play is OK - like 1/4" measured at the tire extremity.
For example, in VA, for a vehicle to pass the technical inspection, the steering has to be between certain limits. I know that legally it doesn't apply in other states, but it's a good indication of what is safely acceptable:
http://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section470/

"Reject vehicle if steering wheel movement exceeds:
Steering Wheel Diameter and Lash Steering:
16 inches or less - 2 inches (51 mm)
18 inches - 2 1/4 inches (57 mm)
19 inches - 2 3/8 inches (60 mm)
20 inches - 2 1/2 inches (64 mm)"
image001.gif

"Reject vehicle if measured movement at front or rear of tire is greater than:
Wheel size:
17 inches or less - 1/4 inch (6.5mm)
17 to 18 inches - 3/8 inch (9.5mm)
over 18 inches - 1/2 inch (13mm)"
image002.gif

Identical measurements/requirements in MD: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/11/11.14.04.02.htm
And in PA:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.80.html

Great post! thanks. I'll measure out the movement later today (going to have to make a two man job into a one man job).

I'm probably overreacting, I know growing up I drove a few car's whose steering probably would not have past those state inspections. But it's different when I'm leaving the car at home for my daughter.

thanks again
steve

Back